News Channels

we used to have telenoche, from channel 13, but now that got desfigurado and end up in a 24 hour channel, TN. But as you have TN 24 horas, you have Vision 7 from Tv publica, you have C5N also pro-government, or channel 9 which is pro government too. America 24 or Telefe news I would say they have not a clear position, they arent for sure pro government, but they also arent oposicion like TN or La Nacion.

Serious journalism is lacking here in Argentina in my opinion. Like others have said it's very polarized, but if possible, more
so than American Journalism. At least MSNBC and NPR call out bs when they see it, here you'll never get that from K/12
(Pagina/12). Canal 7 has some pretty videos sometimes but it's not journalism, it's like powerpoint summing stuff up.

Anyways, here's my take for you, similar to others:

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Newspapers[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- Serious newspaper: La Nación. I'm a lefty and they're very right wing but at least they don't always talk out their ass.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- Large sensational newspaper: Pagina/12 (Kristina's Press) and Clarín, I won't touch it because it basically was[/background]
Völkischer Beobachter during the Dirty War, and now is pro any right wing opposition.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TV[/background]

All TV here is too polarized for me. I'll watch TN sometimes, but generally avoid it.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Radio[/background]

I wish I could listen fast enough, but everyone on the radio talks too damn fast.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Online[/background]

If it's in print/on TV it's online.

For English news Argentina has a very weak online/print presence. There's the Buenos Aires Herald, a generally unexciting, terribly formatted,
poor spelling, etc. paper that's updated at least daily. Mercopress covers the Mercosur area and the Falkland Islands, it's slightly better than
BAHerald thankfully, but very bland. There's The Argentine Independent. I don't read it because it's only once a week.

I've been thinking of starting an online English site and getting expats/people who actually speak English to write/cover current events and
news in a way different from Mercopress and Buenos Aires Herald. They don't get behind the stories, and so much information about Arge
in English online is seriously outdated. I was going to ask the BA Expats group if anyone was interested in working on this with me, would
be nice to have more options than what's currently out there for those who don't speak Spanish that well, and that want background on
say what Paso Primaries are all about, a history of the frustration over the pulp mill between Argentina and Uruguay, why militarist factions
exist in the K/FpV movement, etc.

But right now it's just a dream...

Do have a look at thebubble.com.ar - if for nothing else to see how someone else is taking up that idea. I like it, but it's possibly a little light hearted or sarcastic if you are looking at more serious content.

I asked the guy at the newspaper stand once if there existed a decent news publication that sat somewhere between the extremes of clarin and pagina12. he handed me a comic book and wished me luck.

The two bigger newspaper, La Nacion & Clarin, are right wing, and supported the last dicctatorship, where we had 30,000 desaparecidos and initiated an era of economic crisis in the country. Clarin used to be till this government some kind of massive middle class oriented, represented the huge argentine middle class, and used to have opinions from centre left to centre right. It was very diverse, it was "desarrollista", it was and still is the massive newspaper this country have. But since 2007 it is clearly anti government, explicit, with very biased notes, it took the La Nacion place had for decades, only La Nacion was more elitist.

Today both represent the right, they are conservatives anti government, while you have Pagina 12 which used to be totally left wing, but now is totally cooptated by the government, which is centre left.

Mati,

Why did Nestor stopped having lunch with Magnetto? in 2007 .
Why did Nestor approved the Fibertel Cablevision merger?
Why No one mentioned Tiempo Argentino or 678 as a non biased media?
"Clarin is not the most printed newspaper BUT the most Purchased. ...!!

Its OK the Amigo-Enemigo position! We respect someone having a definite position .
Being anti-government makes a paper biased? is Tiempo Argentino pro-government biased?

Mati,

Why did Nestor stopped having lunch with Magnetto? in 2007 .
Why did Nestor approved the Fibertel Cablevision merger?
Why No one mentioned Tiempo Argentino or 678 as a non biased media?
"Clarin is not the most printed newspaper BUT the most Purchased. ...!!

Its OK the Amigo-Enemigo position! We respect someone having a definite position .
Being anti-government makes a paper biased? is Tiempo Argentino pro-government biased?

The fight of this government with Clarin happened after some favours, like conceeding Cablevision monopoly, or after some lobbies Magnetto did to have Telecom to the Grupo. I think it was Clarin who broke it with the 2007 conflict with the campo.
Of course 678 and Tiempo Argentino are biased, never said the opposite, even Pagina it is as I said, but a loooooot of people dont recognise Clarin or La Nacion are as well. They have internalised that TN is their definition of a normal noticiero. Theres a social scientist Paul Virillo, that says they missinform by overinforming, this is a society of information, thats internet, information, it is very difficult for you sitting on a sofa to choose what to take and what to waste, what to believe and what to reject, for instance, you have this accident in Once, where the pro goverment says it was a sabotage and the other media stands for an accident. The new panorama in the last years after the fight is that the viewer now has to choose, you cant take everything as we used to do till 10 years ago. there are people though (in both sides) that still believe everything what they say, not my case.

Back