No dollar purchases (for locals) unless travelling abroad?

syngirl

Registered
Has anyone heard this latest announcement? My husband just went to Santander Rio to buy dollars and they outright refused the purchase -- they told him you are now only allowed to buy if you have proof of travel abroad and have filled in the AFIP formulae relevant to that travel. Is this just some misinformed BS he was fed by a teller? Neither one of us had heard this announcement -- he's been buying USD regularly every month to whatever limit they approve him and today they outright refused unless he could prove he was travelling abroad.

Looked on AFIP / La Nacion brieflyh and we can't find any announcements to this effect.

There were no announcements, Afip is doing this ipso facto. Did you check on Afip´s site to see if he gets approved?

i have not been able to buy even 100 since last month either ..it may not be on the books but the banks are obeying the politicians orders not to sell dollars

According to this article:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1419110-claves-para-saber-los-nuevos-requisitos-para-comprar-dolares
a bank can deny you dollars if the AFIP has not authorized the purchase. The AFIP will authorize purchases if it approves of the reason for the purchase. There doesn't seem to be a solid criteria for which your purchase may or may not be accepted. According to this article:
http://finanzas.iprofesional.com/no...rar-dlares-habr-que-pedirle-permiso-a-la-AFIP
you can get them for travel, to buy property, or for saving, but it is unlikely that this is an exclusive list.

My mom lives in Cordoba, she works in a public school (government) and she is coming to visit me in a month. She has her airplane tickets and her visa (not the first time she comes), however, when she went to the AFIP to fill out the 'form', they wouldn't even give it to her. All they said was "forms are not being handed out for indeterminate time''. No offense, but I feel like if we talking about Cuba or Venezuela...

When we left BA in March, that was the only way that locals could buy dollars at the Banco de la Nacion in EZE.

No idea if it is legit or not though.

Valeria Lujan said:
My mom lives in Cordoba, she works in a public school (government) and she is coming to visit me in a month. She has her airplane tickets and her visa (not the first time she comes), however, when she went to the AFIP to fill out the 'form', they wouldn't even give it to her. All they said was "forms are not being handed out for indeterminate time''. No offense, but I feel like if we talking about Cuba or Venezuela...
Coming soon to a banana republic near you.

ghost said:
Coming soon to a banana republic near you.

Cuba, Venuzeula, or... Europe. Today Brussels let countries in the EU know that they can close their frontiers to capital flows or freeze bank deposits/withdraws in preparation of what it could be Greece leaving the Euro.

AFIP's dollar sniffing dogs will soon require to identify the smell of euros. Dog's life is becoming more demanding.

In Spanish
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/06/12/economia/1339499486.html

Coming to the original thread... everyone I know, local or foreigner, has been unsuccessful in buying official dollars the last two weeks.

va2ba said:
When we left BA in March, that was the only way that locals could buy dollars at the Banco de la Nacion in EZE.

No idea if it is legit or not though.
March was a very very long time ago...

Back