No dollar purchases (for locals) unless travelling abroad?

Even with good customers, I've seen and experienced getting cheated. Even if they stand to make much more money with you over the long haul. They would rather make the money TODAY vs. making it over the next 10 years with you. They have such a "make as much as you can today" type of attitude.

Yeah, my local friends have explained that it's because small-business owners in Argentina have little-to-no liquidity, and need the money they make THIS month to pay the rent for NEXT month... which is why they will never re-make or comp an incorrect order, or offer a refund, or otherwise take a short-term loss for the sake of building long-term customer loyalty. Unfortunately, that's a REALLY boneheaded business attitude in the age of social media... you rip off an Internet-savvy customer, and the next thing you know, it's all over Facebook, Twitter, TripAdvisor, etc., and the loss of potential business is likely going to be far greater than that scammed 30 pesos.

earlyretirement said:
Even with good customers, I've seen and experienced getting cheated. Even if they stand to make much more money with you over the long haul. They would rather make the money TODAY vs. making it over the next 10 years with you. They have such a "make as much as you can today" type of attitude.
It's quite not fair to say "they". In my experience we are talking about 50/50 in BsAs and less than 5 percent in the provinces, where they usually know their customers better.

But you do have a point (again based on my personal experience).

Right after I moved to a new home, I told the owner of a micro market that I lived one block away and was going to stay at least two years. His wife was on the square but the owner cheated me of 5 pesos once and 12 pesos another time - and lost the sale of some 12,000 pesos a year.

In another micro market (also one block away, and where they use a computer system so I can see I pay the same as Argentinos) where I have now been shopping for more than two years it has never happened, on the contrary, when they are short in small change and I am out of coins they round the amount down.

canadien said:
The is not correct. Rather, the governement of Quebec criminalized participating in demontrations whose route is not made known to the police a certain number of hours beforehand.

The idea behind the law, (without my wanting to pronounce myself in favour or against it) is to allow the police to be onhand when these protests are happening in order to stop, as much as possible the violent elements amongst the mostly peacefull student protesters.

Requesting ‘approval’ doesn’t normally involve just notifying authorities in advance of where you’ll be when you do something of your own volition. At least, the newspapers didn’t say that you only have to inform authorities of that. Even if you’re correct, still consent can be officially denied just as Argentina’s residents have been denied their formal requests to convert their pesos to $US after completing all required paperwork. When pockets of dissent occur around Montreal simultaneously, this guaranteed right of expression for all doesn’t suddenly switch to becoming exercisable by only some peaceful protestors at a time. A lot of people protesting is many people saying that they need tuition fees that THEY can actually afford. Anyone who steps beyond being peaceful or commits a crime can be stopped and charged, of course.

Now that people last Sunday exiting a subway station in Montreal and about to walk to their destinations were individually profiled, stopped, arrested, searched and reportedly taken to and held in some nearby building while decisions were made in each case to detain each longer or release some, concern for our rights may rise despite peaceful protests disrupting city life.

These “preventive arrests” are more than just being “on hand when protests are happening” as you said. When these arrests were made, there was no protest in progress although one was anticipated. One young woman was subjected to these things (and later released as some 50-year-olds were) for no other reason she could see than that her brightly-dyed red hair was of a shade used by some female students and protestors. Regardless of whether one takes sides or not, each right and freedom we have comes with a corresponding duty upon each of us to support and advance it for everybody even if one personally or his social circle doesn’t use, need, want, or like that particular right.

Like everybody, I await the Quebec court’s decision to strike down or not Bill 78 or part(s) of it as offensive to one or two constitutions. Compliance with the rule of law is important. I have faith in Canadian judicial systems to do this.

When I see protests by middle-class people about money in 2 different countries (Canada and Argentina) at a time of inflation and weakened or threatened economies that will affect all of us, needing assurance that the right to protest is still as intact, cherished, as exercisable and protected in my country as it is in the one I visit is reasonable. Legislated fines of sums beyond an individual’s or association’s ability in Canada to summon just can’t provide that assurance. I don’t see events in Quebec as having to do with choosing sides. What’s happening is about the state and future of our country, whether we think higher education should be priced so that it’s available to only our wealthier kids or an entire generation.

Back