No More Reciprocity Fee For Us Passport Holders

Amazing tend to believe its a MISTAKE 2.14 % Argie's rejected

While. these Percentages

Canada 49.13
Ireland 18.34
Germany 10.87
Great Britain 20.41

Really not if you take a step back.

1) In order to afford a ticket to the US from Argentina, chances are you are going to have a good job or be retired with money, etc. So the chances of a tourist overstaying are pretty low and your approval rates are going to be high.

2) Since Canadians, Belgians, Brits, Germans etc are part of the VWP (visa waiver program) - those denial rates would relate to applying for a visa under extraordinary circumstances (dual nationals with other certain countries, have been convicted of a crime, etc). So pretty logical that the denial rate would be higher.

State Dept doesn't lie about this - people's N1 examples aside, the facts are the fact. 98% of Argentines are approved for visas (most commonly tourist) which is a big reason why they are lobbying so hard to get back in the VWP and most probably will be accepted.

Dropping the reciprocity visa is an excellent idea.

Next Argentina needs to establish Social Security reciprocity with the US so that American citizens living here can have their corresponding Argentine taxes applied to Social Security in the US.

During the "crisis" in Argentina quite a few Argentines went to the US (especially Miami) on tourist visas and didn't return. At that time the US embassy started getting very tough with tourist visas. I knew people who were denied tourist visas but now the same people would be able to get a tourist visa.

I wish that Argentina was reciprocal with the United States for residency. When I married here in 1983 it took my Argentine wife a wait of two weeks for the United States Embassy to issue her a permanent residence visa. When she arrived at the airport in Miami they said "welcome to the United States" and mailed her "green card" to our home in a week.

Not so for my residency in Argentina. First I had to get an immigration attorney to apply for residency through the Argentine Consulate in Houston. The consulate after a few weeks called and stamped a "Residente Permanente" visa in my passport. On arrival back in Ezieza they still only allowed me 90 days until I picked up my DNI. I had to bring copies of my birth certificate translated, notarized, apositled along with a letter from the Houston chief of police stating that I had no record. Then a visit to our local police station in Buenos Aires where I spent a day to get my finger prints. I took this to immigration along with our marriage certificate and other forms to the Immigration office in Antartida Argentina, Buenos Aires where they issued me a receipt as a temporary DNI. They said they would have the card ready in about two weeks. When I returned with the receipt they hesitated and then said that it was lost "en tramite". It is still lost. When I most recently arrived about two weeks ago they let me come in as a permanent resident without reciprocity fee, but it took me a long wait while they looked up the law that admitted me. On leaving two days ago it was even a longer wait while I was lectured that the next visit I must re-submit all the paperwork, original copies, that they lost.

Talk about recipricity! My wife became a legal resident in three weeks with a social security card, work permit, drivers license. I have been working on getting Argentine residency for 31 years now, but have little to show for the effort, but have spent thousands of dollars in the process.

This happened under Videla's [anti] migration law.

Talk about recipricity! My wife became a legal resident in three weeks with a social security card, work permit, drivers license. I have been working on getting Argentine residency for 31 years now, but have little to show for the effort, but have spent thousands of dollars in the process.

Happy to tell you that there is almost full reciprocity now. Getting residency for a foreign born wife of an American citizen in the US is almost as painful and expensive as it is in Argentina.

Happy to tell you that there is almost full reciprocity now. Getting residency for a foreign born wife of an American citizen in the US is almost as painful and expensive as it is in Argentina.

I would say much harder and longer. And definitely more expensive.

Back