No safe level of alcohol consumption

London2Baires

Registered
For all those drinkers out there, enjoy! :

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45283401

"Bad news for those who enjoy what they think is a healthy glass of wine a day.

A large new global study published in the Lancet has confirmed previous research which has shown that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption."

:=D

Who wants to live to be 90 or 100, if you can't drink? I say we all raise a glass (or 8, like those Romanian men- you go, Romanian males!) to another study that proves that everything good or fun in life will eventually kill you, like life itself. You're going to die anyway, so go for that third, fourth, fifth drink, until you get to 8. But hey, there are limits, eight is enough.

I have always thought that people find reasons to pervert everything they either don't understand or don't approve of in life.
So it goes. If you worry about people drinking, that frees up the time you otherwise might have use to worry about the poor,
the homeless, and the hungry. Get a grip. Alcohol has been with us as long as civilisation, since the mythical Egyptian
first downed a pint of beer. It is one of many facets of life that need to be attended to with care, but to my mind, total
abstinence, when not directed by medical problems, is pretty much nonsense. But what do I know. Cheers! Peter

I know non drinking vegans who get life threatening illness. Me,I would rather enjoy a life filled with what I love to eat and drink than a long life of abstinence.

There is nothing so unhealthy as veganism.

I wasn't advocating not drinking. I drink myself. I was just sharing the latest scientific research so that people are aware of the price they pay.

I should add though that, just becuse a lot of cultures, including the 'western' ones that many here come from, drink alcohol, we shouldn't generalise from this perspective. A significant proportion of the inhabitants of this planet don't drink for cultural and religious reasons. So, with just a little bit of thought we can imagine living in a way which doesn't need alcohol to have fun.
Also, just because something has been part of a culture for a long time, we shouldn't assume that this means it ought to always be that way ( see slavery, no sanitation, feudal servitude, to name a few of a multitude of examples.)

Though, to give a more closely related and recent example, if you'd asked people in the 70's if smoking tabacco was cool and a good thing for having fun, the responses would be very much like those now with alcohol.

It will be the next generations that decide what's a healthy and cool way to have fun. They'll probably all be vaporising herbal marijuana, dabbing listening to dubstep and will think alcohol is dirty and what old people use to have fun.

That said, I choose to have a drink now and then but am happy to also not bury my head in the sand, realising that there are almost certainly better alternative ways to live for both social, health , and other reasons.

Cheers!

I wasn't advocating not drinking. I drink myself. I was just sharing the latest scientific research so that people are aware of the price they pay.

I should add though that, just becuse a lot of cultures, including the 'western' ones that many here come from, drink alcohol, we shouldn't generalise from this perspective. A significant proportion of the inhabitants of this planet don't drink for cultural and religious reasons. So, with just a little bit of thought we can imagine living in a way which doesn't need alcohol to have fun.
Also, just because something has been part of a culture for a long time, we shouldn't assume that this means it ought to always be that way ( see slavery, no sanitation, feudal servitude, to name a few of a multitude of examples.)

Though, to give a more closely related and recent example, if you'd asked people in the 70's if smoking tabacco was cool and a good thing for having fun, the responses would be very much like those now with alcohol.

It will be the next generations that decide what's a healthy and cool way to have fun. They'll probably all be vaporising herbal marijuana, dabbing listening to dubstep and will think alcohol is dirty and what old people use to have fun.

That said, I choose to have a drink now and then but am happy to also not bury my head in the sand, realising that there are almost certainly better alternative ways to live for both social, health , and other reasons.

Cheers!

Great post.

Back