Nobel Peace Prize awarded to European Union

The EU deserves it. Excluding the issues in the Eurozone, the EU has been a fundamentally positive institution for Europe and the world. It may not have been the sole reason for no wars between its members (but nevertheless failed to prevent the atrocities in the former Yugoslavia) but it has re-orientated Europe away from competition to co-operation.

It has been exceptionally good in creating prosperity, even if some of its nations, including my own, Ireland are suffering. Without access to the common market and EU transfer funds over 20 years ago, we would never be as prosperous as we are even now. Possible membership has been extremely good in orientating nations towards more democratic processes and has been instrumental recently in Serbia in doing that. It showed many at the time Eastern European countries under Soviet domination that there was a much more positive, viable and accepting alternative to what they had then.

A lot of the Eurosceptic press, especially in the UK will have a field day about it but a lot of it will be based on ignorance and stupidity. Just look at what the UK Independence party member of the EU parliament said today:

"This goes to show that the Norwegians really do have a sense of humour. The EU may be getting the booby prize for peace because it sure hasn't created prosperity. The EU has created poverty and unemployment for millions."

First of all, he is talking about the Eurozone and also the current economic crisis that is affecting nearly all European countries and many others too, including the UK. This from a man who most likely happily avails of many of the policies the EU has sponsored - Schengen passport free travel, caps on phone and data roaming by the Commission to prevent phone companies ripping off their customers abroad, better services and consumer protection, increased competition authority, date privacy rules. The man has no idea what he is talking about and is a product of ignorance.

The EU deserved this. I think the Nobel Committee were trying to make the distinction between Europe's current woes and what enhanced co-operation has done positively to Europe and the world too.

Conorworld said:
A lot of the Eurosceptic press, especially in the UK will have a field day about it but a lot of it will be based on ignorance and stupidity. Just look at what the UK Independence party member of the EU parliament said today:

The fact that some sad confused little man has some self important delusional ravings is of less significance in itself than the inflated profile he gets from the generally right wing press as part of an attempt to retain their influence.

Peace doesn't sell newspapers.

War and Tits - that's how to build a newspaper empire at least in the UK.

Simples!

ps ok Crime and football as well

ElQueso said:
Are they trying to influence world politics via their awardings perhaps?

ElQueso Absolutely, Obama`s Nobel Prize was awarded on the EXPECTATION he would bring Peace, and solve the Lehman Bros. debacle.:D The EU Nobel is also awarded on the Expectation that the EU will maintain the Peace, avoiding bloodshed due to Ajustes:eek:

And next year's award goes to FIFA, or maybe even CFK.

It just seems like a joke to me. The EU, while it brings many countries together, it discriminates others. It also contains a bunch of very military prone countries. Sure it's done a lot for integration and social peace (and we're to see what goes on with the cuts and the crisis and all) but I'm sure there's people who deserve the award more. Again, it's just my opinion. Sure you can find a reason to give the prize to anyone (hell, you could even say the Ks saved Argentina after the crisis, thus avoiding conflict and bringing peace). But anyway, i don't think the prize has much credibility.

CFK is a shoo-in next year: sending military ships to Ghana to moor there for a few years, sacking various senior military leaders and of course, nobody has dollars anymore to buy arms on the international market.

Genius!

Back