Nordelta - Advice Please!

Hi, we live in complejo Villa Nueva, which is o only 7 min away from Nordelta, but it's closer to Panamericana, which should take about 35min to San Isidro without traffic. And it is less pricey than ND but it also has all private neigbourhoods. We send our kids to Northfield school in Nordelta and love it. It is also a bilingual school 50/50 spanish english and it's very high tech and moden school. Coming from US i would not live anywhere else. In this area we feel very safe and that is the most important to our family. Also it is beautiful, with many restaurants in the Bahia, a mini shopping center, movie theatre and water surrounding all the neigbourhoods. Once you live here , you don't have to worry about your kids playing on the street alone. I don't think so you can do it in any open barrio. Give me a buzz if you would like more info.

We live In Nordelta for commuting reasons for my husbands job. We like it a lot but of xourse like any place there are pluses and minuses. Nordelta can feel at times very isolated and I find myself spending more time in San Isidro and Martinez than in nordelta. It's like a bubble. There are NOT as many expats as you thinkn. We were sold this story about all of rhe expats. Lol. Nope. We have met maybe 4 in our barrio tops!! And each barrio is separate so not like joh mingle with the other barrios.

Feel free to ask my any questions.

Yea buses are available for commuting. But they Arw always packed.

One concern I do have is how quiet life will be out there but the safety/security of the area appeals and as my husband will be based in San Isidro it isn't too far for him to travel.

Why don't look into San Isidro? Down in the bajo there are great villas, the river, bilingual schools. It is much less isolated than Nordelta, and more European-like in feel. There has to be some gated community in the bajo, as well.
From downtown San Isidro there is a train taking you to downtown Buenos Aires (Retiro) in 40 minutes sharp. Still, not much of expats events going on up here, and at night you still need a car to get to any decent restaurant or lively place (like the bajo or Belgrano). On weekdays it is bustling with life because of schools and medical practices, however don't expect the variety of choice you would get in Belgrano or in Palermo.

It doesn't sound like there's much love for Nordelta here, but I really like it. My wife and I are in Santa Barbara (another closed neighborhood, just 1 km south of Nordelta) and love the lifestyle. We're very comfortable letting our two young kids wander the neighborhood and play with the other kids, the lagoon is fun for boating, fishing, or swimming (you are not allowed to swim in the Nordelta lagoon), and there are many schools that are very close. For evenings out Bs. As. is only about 30-40 minutes away. If you are looking for the excitement of a city, you won't find it here, but if you want a relaxed lifestyle for the family and a neighborhood focused on kids, it's a great place to be.

In San Isidro there are two very nice closed barrios. San Isidro Chico and boating club. Have you looked there??

Why don't look into San Isidro? Down in the bajo there are great villas, the river, bilingual schools. It is much less isolated than Nordelta, and more European-like in feel. There has to be some gated community in the bajo, as well.
From downtown San Isidro there is a train taking you to downtown Buenos Aires (Retiro) in 40 minutes sharp. Still, not much of expats events going on up here, and at night you still need a car to get to any decent restaurant or lively place (like the bajo or Belgrano). On weekdays it is bustling with life because of schools and medical practices, however don't expect the variety of choice you would get in Belgrano or in Palermo.
Thank you for the suggestion. When we last visited we had a look around San Isidro but not at any barrio. We did see some houses but they seemed very old, not very secure and had direct street access which Im not sure I like for my children. Ill start having a look online again now :)

It doesn't sound like there's much love for Nordelta here, but I really like it. My wife and I are in Santa Barbara (another closed neighborhood, just 1 km south of Nordelta) and love the lifestyle. We're very comfortable letting our two young kids wander the neighborhood and play with the other kids, the lagoon is fun for boating, fishing, or swimming (you are not allowed to swim in the Nordelta lagoon), and there are many schools that are very close. For evenings out Bs. As. is only about 30-40 minutes away. If you are looking for the excitement of a city, you won't find it here, but if you want a relaxed lifestyle for the family and a neighborhood focused on kids, it's a great place to be.

Except for when there is an accident on the Panamericana and 1.5hrs later you can barely see the lights of the Personal building and the DOT complex. We have friends in Benavidez, who live not even as far from the autopista as Villanueva, we do that drive a lot. My husband works in Garin, the number of times Lear has cut off the highway is ridiculous and he ends up having to go out or come home via the Bancalari.

Believe me, we are considering a move out there because of where my husband works (and I work from home). However it can be an isolating experience and I don't think expats should be sold on an idea of it being very social only to find that there isn't as much of a community feel as they expect, nor are there as many foreigners as they expect. And a lot of newcomers simply wouldn't be ready to deal with driving a car on the Panamericana at 140km/hr with people dodging in and out in front of you -- so if they aren't ready to get behind the wheel and deal with Argentine drivers, they will find themselves quite stuck out there.

I commute the panamericana daily to get the kids to and from school in la lucilla. It's a bear on some days. Most days it 45 minutes. You definitely need a vehicle in nordelta and. Health sise of 'I've got those' getting on the roads out towards downtown.

Back