Obamacare: I Need Advice

If you think you will pay a doctor just $25 as a walk-in, you are deluding yourself.
No. Actually you need to work on reading comprehension. I stated I am happy to pay doctor about 100 bucks which is going rate rather than pay $800-$1200/month for a co-pay of 25 bucks. And I prefer insurance that protects me so I am not out of pocket $8K-$12K before health care kicks in. Bottomline is I certainly cannot afford toe $8 to $12K deductable. And you have not offered a solution for my pickle that many of us who do work and cannot get a subsidy find ourselves. It seems only solution is to join the ranks of the working poor and go on the dole.

You seem to misunderstand how insurance, and for that matter, government, works.

For instance- I dont have a house that is burning down. Why should I foot the bill for a fire department?
I dont have Cholera- why should I foot the bill for a public health program?
I dont have diabetes, or cancer- why should I foot the bill for an insurance policy that covers them?
For that matter, I dont have a broken leg- why should I have to pay to cover something i dont have?
I dont believe in God- why should I give a tax break to churches? (in the USA- in places like Germany, the government actually collects taxes specifically for churches)

As for children- the generally accepted theory is that kids today will become workers, and taxpayers, tommorow. And, if they cant read, or have polio, they wont be able to foot the bill for MY retirement and old age health care.

We all benefit, either in Argentina, or in the USA, when kids are healthy and educated. And that means prenatal care, decent maternity wards, and education- and we all see our insurance dollars, and our tax dollars, go to those things, even when we dont have kids.

Your words above infer you are actually helping to row the boat.

But, as your words below clearly point out, you are not rowing the boat.

Then, there is the fact that I pay for my two son's policies- Because they make so little money- one is a full time college student, the other a 19 year old with part time jobs- I will save another couple thousand there, as their new policies are completely paid for by the low income subsidy of obamacare.
Also, this year at least, my income has been low enough that I, too, receive a subsidy for my health care. The economy in the US is finally coming back, and as a self employed person, my income can vary quite a bit, so its possible next year I will make more, and subsequently, pay more.
But as of right now, I estimate my savings for 2014 to be in the range of $3000 to $6000 US dollars, depending on health issues.

This is pretty typical for individual policies- IF you actually have health care needs, which, unfortunately due to age I sometimes do, the new, mandated lower deductibles mean that even with the higher monthly premiums, most individuals will save quite a bit.

You and your kids are riding in the boat with no oar.

No wonder bummer's care is a good deal for you.

If your kids need a job tell them to contact me. Then maybe they get off the dole.

As for you, hopefully you'll find a way to provide a valuable service to others so you earn a living wage. Then you can join the ranks of rowers too! In the meantime, enjoy your subsidies. But please remember, for those of us who are rowin' we have a different experience than you when it comes to O'bummer's care.

If your kids need a job tell them to contact me. Then maybe they get off the dole.

As for you, hopefully you'll find a way to provide a valuable service to others so you earn a living wage. Then you can join the ranks of rowers too! In the meantime, enjoy your subsidies. But please remember, for those of us who are rowin' we have a different experience than you when it comes to O'bummer's care.

Looks like you could use a reality check.

I would ask you my standard question-

How many consecutive years have you paid for health insurance in the USA?

And, approximately, how much per year did you pay?

Personally, I have been paying right around ten grand a year, plus actual health care costs, for an average expenditure in the vicinity of $13k to$18k a year, for a family of four, for the last two or three years, and a couple grand less every two or three year increment back from that.

This upcoming month of January would be the first month I will be getting a subsidy.
Just call me a "Taker".

You know what?? You are are full of shit and a bleeding whiner. I just spent 40 minutes on the site and signed my wife up. The site works . Stop whining. This forum is full of little boobs. Just man up and cover your family.

Ahhh I'm happy to see that the site is still full of kind-hearted souls. I pay my health insurance out of pocket but thanks for letting me know I should "wo"man up and cover my family (GASP a mother who maintains the family and husband who is the stay-at-home dad!!). I commend you on being able to use the website, however hundreds of thousands of people, like me, were not able to when the program rolled out and were forced to mail information and have yet to hear back.

With Obamacare, my premiums are about to go up 60% with none of those lovely subsidies that people were hyping up so much. Now add on an additional $1k in deductibles and the $12k out of pocket amounts and our emergency fund is almost completely dedicated just to heath care costs. Yes, there is nothing wrong with the idea of Obamacare. However, claiming that healthcare is suddenly "affordable" is a flat out lie.

My clients are all of the big health care providers here and I've been working on all of their plan information packets, plan details and contracts since June.. I'm able to see the exact percentages that they'll pay out for every possible thing that could happen to you, on each of the plan types (bronze-platinum). Call it insider information, but people are going to have a rude awakening. Check your fine print and you'll see my work. Its not all roses and puppies like they have made it sound.

Everyone should have health insurance as its always boggled my mind that the US has such terrible options and how many people have gone bankrupt because of health issues. But the solution of hiking up rates for the already strained middle-class is not the solution (and this is coming from a DEMOCRAT!).

Good intentions, bad execution.

The "higher taxes in Canada" meme is no longer the reality it once was. I don't have time to dig up the links right now, but several recent studies have shown that the total tax burden is roughly comparable to that in the US, when services received for taxes paid are taken into consideration. Basically low income earners and middle income earners who don't have a lot of mortgage interest to deduct will be better off in Canada. Those whose income is well above average will be better off in the US (at least financially lol).

Yes, we're up in Canada right now for a month and were talking about this last night with my family. The wages here are higher than in the US and definitely account for the higher tax brackets. In the US, we're paying 15%. My cousins are paying around 30% but factoring in the US health care costs, our take home pay is almost the exact same. Plus if something happens to you, you're not screwed. Housing/mortgages are similar. Sales tax is obviously higher here but it doesn't seem to affect people much. Toronto and Vancouver consistently rank yearly as some of the best places to live in the world even with the high cost of living. They must be doing something right...

My clients are all of the big health care providers here and I've been working on all of their plan information packets, plan details and contracts since June.. I'm able to see the exact percentages that they'll pay out for every possible thing that could happen to you, on each of the plan types (bronze-platinum). Call it insider information, but people are going to have a rude awakening. Check your fine print and you'll see my work. Its not all roses and puppies like they have made it sound.

Good intentions, bad execution.
Your clients are ALL of the big health care providers. ALL. That is very unusual, companies tend not to share outside vendors for price sensitive issues. I guess you are just lucky. Right. Anyway, if you are working for ALL of the big providers then bill them accordingly and write it off as a business expense if you live in the USA, or move to Argie Land permanently or move to Canada and ride on the free health care train.
Now I will agree with you on one point AHC is most definitely a bad execution of a right minded concept.

This article from a British newspaper is revealing:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532869/They-no-idea-insurance-active-not-At-Virginia-hospitals-Obamacare-confusion-reigns-frustrated-patients-walk-out.html

This should be of interest to all expats who travel back to the US: according to an expat accounting service, the US tax authorities will be looking carefully at people who file taxes indicating that they live abroad and are therefore exempt from Obama care. I assume that means that the tax people may be looking to see that expats comply with the 35 day limit to visits to the US.

Back