Obama's Choice For Arg Ambassador.....$ Buys The Post?

Right. As opposed to the Ivy League of Kennedy (war criminal, invaded South Vietnam, Laos and Cuba); Theodore Roosevelt (war criminal and rampant racist; implemented waterboarding in the Philipines and torture in Cuba); John Quincy Adams (self-admitted genocide of native populations); George HW Bush (war criminal, invaded Panama, overthrew democratic government in Haiti); James Madison (whom I quoted above about the meddlesome masses); Woodrow Wilson (war criminal, invaded Guatemala and Cuba)...

Of course this is leaving out W, Clinton...

Evidence shows the Ivy League schools are precisely "what they used to be".

Right. As opposed to the Ivy League of Kennedy (war criminal, invaded South Vietnam, Laos and Cuba); Theodore Roosevelt (war criminal and rampant racist; implemented waterboarding in the Philipines and torture in Cuba); John Quincy Adams (self-admitted genocide of native populations); George HW Bush (war criminal, invaded Panama, overthrew democratic government in Haiti); James Madison (whom I quoted above about the meddlesome masses); Woodrow Wilson (war criminal, invaded Guatemala and Cuba)...

Of course this is leaving out W, Clinton...

Evidence shows the Ivy League schools are precisely "what they used to be".

This is going off on a tangent. This applies equally to just about all the European countries as well. I thought we're talking of the calibre of the people, not that they were criminals, warmongers, and mass murderers. That goes without saying. The history of Europe and North America is drenched in violence and deceit.

Don't know if anyone here has seen the 1972 movie, Hammersmith Is Out. The following is worth watching from about the 11:00 mark onwards and shows how the system works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xl4VwrszXs

I'm not sure what you mean by calibre, if being a "criminal, war-monger or mass murderer" has no effect on someone's suitability for public service.

I'm not sure what you mean by calibre, if being a "criminal, war-monger or mass murderer" has no effect on someone's suitability for public service.

It's not the way the world works. You have a choice between a cultivated apparatchik and an uncouth one. That's as far as the choice goes. Someone who is not a criminal and war-monger won't last long, will get sacked or, er, eliminated.

Fantastic. So we're stuck with the mass murderers and the only thing we can do if someone else tries to get in is complain that they drink Budweiser instead of Chateau Margaux.

I think I'll get a noose.

My favourite response to shocked Argentines asking why the heck I would move here is to say it's because there's less corruption here. Argentine pols steal millions while their 'developed country' counterparts steal billions.*

*(Although the Argentine ones just seem limited by not having as many opportunities as the ones up north. Give an Argie politician the opportunity and she'll steal just as much.)
There was actually an article a few weeks ago in Clarin I had to reread, and then ask my husband to translate, because I couldn´t believe that it was for real:
http://www.clarin.com/politica/existir-Wall-Street-dinero-duerme_0_1064893571.html
Basically, if you want to steal a lot of money, like the guy in "Wolf of Wall Street" you can´t do it in Argentina, because the stock market here doens´t move a lot of money. But the tone of the article is lamenting this, that unfortunately for young con men of Argentina will have to emigrate to other more mature capital markets. This of course, is the fault of the Kitchner´s. If they could just liberate the capital markets, Argentines could have conmen worthy of a movie.

Terrible pick but it is clear patronage on a CFK level so he'll fit in. This is almost as bad as Max Baucus but not quite.

As much as I don't like Obama at least he doesn't say stuff like "I don't think any Argentine is starving". Talk about
your 21st century equivalent of "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche".

Silver lining...sorta? :unsure:

Back