Obras Sociales when retired with pre-existing medical conditions?

charles. argentina is way less on a cost basis. although you need to buy an apartment. its a good time for that. 100,000 to 150,000 plus remodel costs for a good neighborhood. your retirement in dollars, social security, will go along way in buenos aires. i do think you can work out medical expenses. at present i count on being stabilized out of pocket and retuning to the US for treatment. i bought an apartment 20 years ago in BA. today i might make 30 percent. its not worth selling. whats good is it only costs me 1500 a year including electricity, canble, building expenses, and annual taxes. there is no comparison. the taxes on my US apartment is 1600. building expenses are 300 a month. i was told a kilo of carne was 6.00. not even close. 8 oz is 20.00. ba is a great culture and great people. kust depends if you want a cultural experience or the same old thing. your choice. the dollar will always make your life comfortable in south america regardless of country. colombia is another example

i do think there is a life flight policy that will take you home for medical emergencies for around 700 a year. dont quote me on that

just cant help myself. after spending alot of time in one on one classes, i recommend duolingo the app. good luck

Thank you for an honest and serious answer.

I definitely think my health will be better protected in USA than Argentina.

I feel sorry for all the diabetics in Argentina who are in their 70s and older, they are at very high risk and nobody seems to care. I feel I am much more fortunate by comparison. I think Argentina needs to reconsider their medical policies for older citizens, since it represent a life expectancy problem for the aging Argentine population.
I beg to differ but all citizens and inhabitants are covered by the public health system. The elderly have PAMI and they receive all their medication for diabetes and chronic conditions for free. If anyone has any accidents or events in the street they will be taken to a public hospital, if in the city they all have the best doctors ( same ones that work in private hospitals ) it is just that the facilities are not so nice. If you need to spend months in ICU you would not pay a cent. Just how easy is for an immigrant to get health insurance in the US? I just ran into an old friend who was living in NYC. They did not order a biopsy when his PSA levels were getting high ( Mounth Sinai Hospital by the way ). He had to get prostate cancer surgery at Sloan Kettering and now wears diapers for his lifetime ( he is 64 ). Things happen everywhere. This being said, what a forum member commented above is true, this is not the best time to come here as everything is up in the air.

Diabetes has different stages, and based on that the risks are different. I am not sure how old you are, but if you are getting good care where you are, unless you are specifically interested in Argentina ( for its culture, you have family, etc ) I would prioritize health.

I beg to differ but all citizens and inhabitants are covered by the public health system. The elderly have PAMI and they receive all their medication for diabetes and chronic conditions for free. If anyone has any accidents or events in the street they will be taken to a public hospital, if in the city they all have the best doctors ( same ones that work in private hospitals ) it is just that the facilities are not so nice. If you need to spend months in ICU you would not pay a cent. Just how easy is for an immigrant to get health insurance in the US? I just ran into an old friend who was living in NYC. They did not order a biopsy when his PSA levels were getting high ( Mounth Sinai Hospital by the way ). He had to get prostate cancer surgery at Sloan Kettering and now wears diapers for his lifetime ( he is 64 ). Things happen everywhere. This being said, what a forum member commented above is true, this is not the best time to come here as everything is up in the air.
Thanks for the info, that is reassuring.

So here is a simple question I have been asking for months, but have not received a clear reply:

Is there, or is there not, an age limit for Obras Socialies/Prepagado type coverages?

Yes or No.

If yes, what is it, or does it vary with plan ?

P.S. I there anybody reading this older than 70 years with Obras Socialies/Prepagado type coverage?

So here is a simple question I have been asking for months, but have not received a clear reply:

Is there, or is there not, an age limit for Obras Socialies/Prepagado type coverages?

Yes or No.

If yes, what is it, or does it vary with plan ?

P.S. I there anybody reading this older than 70 years with Obras Socialies/Prepagado type coverage?
By law NO, in reality YES ( and you will need to file a legal dispute in order to get insurance unfortunately ). Obras sociales are available before age of retirement, some workers of specific industries get to keep them when they retire. All the rest will get PAMI ( similar to Medicaid ). Prepagas are private insurance and if you get to keep them for as long as you pay for them. Depending on your contract premiums will increase with different age brackets. Hospital Italiano is the only one that I know of that takes people over 65 ( even if by law they should all take you in even with pre existing conditions, but I explained above )

By law NO, in reality YES ( and you will need to file a legal dispute in order to get insurance unfortunately ). Obras sociales are available before age of retirement, some workers of specific industries get to keep them when they retire. All the rest will get PAMI ( similar to Medicaid ). Prepagas are private insurance and if you get to keep them for as long as you pay for them. Depending on your contract premiums will increase with different age brackets. Hospital Italiano is the only one that I know of that takes people over 65 ( even if by law they should all take you in even with pre existing conditions, but I explained above )
Hi Nikad,

Thanks for you reply.

So it is even worse than I feared.

I am already over 65, so looks like Hospital Italiano is the only one I might qualify for, and even then it might be difficult and involve lawyers about the pre-existing conditions.

I will try to contact them about it.

My decision on whether to move to Argentina will depend entirely on their response.

Hi Nikad,

Thanks for you reply.

So it is even worse than I feared.

I am already over 65, so looks like Hospital Italiano is the only one I might qualify for, and even then it might be difficult and involve lawyers about the pre-existing conditions.

I will try to contact them about it.

My decision on whether to move to Argentina will depend entirely on their response.
Talk to them, they run a full checkup for prospective clients and they then tell you whether they would cover or not. Chronic conditions are expected, but as I mentioned before, it depends on the current stage your diabetes is at and how well controlled it is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
camberiu Expat Life 0
Back