Obtaining Permanent Ba Drivers License:

I joined ACA last year. They also do DNIs and Passports.

Do you happen to know how it might be possible for the ACA to "do" DNIs and passports? The first DNI is issued "automatically" as part of the residency process and isn't it necessary to go to the Registro in person to get the Nuevo DNI as a photo, fingerprints, and signature are required? Can the ACA do all of this for their members, saving them a trip to the Registro?

Also, do you know if/how the ACA can help a foreigner obtain an Argentine passport? I know that Argentine passports are available for some foreigners, but I remember reading that they are only granted in limited categories. I have the impression that I could only get one after becoming a citizen of Argentina, but others (political refugees for example) might qualify.

It's exclusively for ACA members and their dependents. Most likely scenario for BAExpat members here would be a reissue for a naturalized citizens (lost passport) but not their first time as those must occur at the Registro wiith the carta de ciudadanía. I didn't see any mention of the special passport for extranjeros. Likely not as they also don't handle DNI for extranjeros.

http://www.aca.org.ar/institucional/renaper/pasaporte/frame.htm

For DNI. Looks like it's just citizens (but again, not recently naturalized)

http://www.aca.org.ar/institucional/renaper/index.htm

Trámites que NO pueden realizarse en las Unidades Serviciales habilitadas (DNI situations that ACA cannot assist)

Certificación de datos
DNI Recién Nacido DNI (Recently Born)
Ciudadanos extranjeros (Foreign Citizens, could be a bit more explicit here, but implies not including legal residents?)
Inscripción Carta de Ciudadanía por opción. (First time inscription of new citizens)
Adopción Menor 14 años.
Adopción Mayor 14 años.

So I have permanent DNI and a US Texas drivers license that expired in October of last year. Has anybody out there RECENTLY gone through the red tape of obtaining a BA drivers license? I have read through most of the options, but I would like to know if anybody, personally, has done it recently and can advise.

Also, I understand I can take a drivers course from an authorised academy here in BA and believe it must be completed before the appt. (Can anybody confirm that? ) Has anybody out there completed a course recently with success and can recommend such a place. Believe it or not, this may be preferable to trying to get the "certificado de legalisation" from the Texas DMV, and getting an apostille for it.

Lastly is there any other location to take care of this "tramite" without having to go clear out to this place on Colonel Roca, to do it? :)

thanks,

For TX driver's license you should be able to get a new one by mail online without having to show up in person. Send it to a friend and then have your friend fedex it to you. You can then go in and in one day do the whole driver's license process without having to take the practical exam.

For TX driver's license you should be able to get a new one by mail online without having to show up in person. Send it to a friend and then have your friend fedex it to you. You can then go in and in one day do the whole driver's license process without having to take the practical exam.

I just checked the Texas DMV website. You can renew you license up to two years after it has expired in several ways, including on line or by phone (I suggest using skype) and you will receive your new license by mail (in Texas) in about three weeks. The out of state (or country) renewal sounds a bit too complicated.

http://www.dmv.org/t...License-Renewal

PS: Depending on where you apply for your Argentine DL, you my still have to take the written exam.

Hi Tex. could you please give some more details about this "You can then go in and in one day do the whole driver's license process without having to take the practical exam"? What is required? As I understood it a foreign licence, in capital, is only useful if: 1. Legalized nationally in country or embassy, 2. translated with legalization.... but not sure. Monday morning i will go to my comuna drivers license department and show my European license and see what they say..

If one has driving license from Brazil, can it be legalized and a Argentine license obtained directly?

Thanks to everybody who responded. Here are some answers to questions you all asked.

1) the class (6 hour theory) with an accredited school ( I checked 2 were 350 and 550 pesos respectively, or free with the city ..but you have to get there, its FAR and its a 2 day class) ACA also offers it free for members. I opted for the most expensive class but you get it done in one neat 6 hour class on a sat.

2) you have to have this certificate (from the class) before you go in for your "turno". But assuming you pass the physical, eye site test AND the practical theory test (all info. from the 6 hour class) you can walk with a DL, the day of your turn. (that's assuming also you have no current city debts or citations) and have paid the fees.

3) Opting to take the test as a beginner was somewhat less of a hassle since this "certificado de legalisation" would have been a real pain to get with the apostille from Texas. But my license was expired less than a year, which would have qualified me to do so, had I wanted to go that route. ** Note, going the route of the beginner means you will not be able to drive on any road whose speed limit is above 70klm. for 6 months. I will be out of the country for the next 4 so this was no biggie for me. (Besides I've spent years here with no car whatsoever, so ..) However, take note.

4) Probably the most eye-opening bit of information is that CURRENTLY there is no driving portion of the test required. It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or with 30 years experience driving. Assuming you've met all the other requirements, there is no test behind the wheel at the moment. I received this bit of info from the guy who owns the school where I will take the 6 hour class this coming Sat.

My appointment is on Wed. if I learn anything different….I'll let y'all know. ;)

Thanks to everybody who responded. Here are some answers to questions you all asked.

1) the class (6 hour theory) with an accredited school ( I checked 2 were 350 and 550 pesos respectively, or free with the city ..but you have to get there, its FAR and its a 2 day class) ACA also offers it free for members. I opted for the most expensive class but you get it done in one neat 6 hour class on a sat.

2) you have to have this certificate (from the class) before you go in for your "turno". But assuming you pass the physical, eye site test AND the practical theory test (all info. from the 6 hour class) you can walk with a DL, the day of your turn. (that's assuming also you have no current city debts or citations) and have paid the fees.

3) Opting to take the test as a beginner was somewhat less of a hassle since this "certificado de legalisation" would have been a real pain to get with the apostille from Texas. But my license was expired less than a year, which would have qualified me to do so, had I wanted to go that route. ** Note, going the route of the beginner means you will not be able to drive on any road whose speed limit is above 70klm. for 6 months. I will be out of the country for the next 4 so this was no biggie for me. (Besides I've spent years here with no car whatsoever, so ..) However, take note.

4) Probably the most eye-opening bit of information is that CURRENTLY there is no driving portion of the test required. It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or with 30 years experience driving. Assuming you've met all the other requirements, there is no test behind the wheel at the moment. I received this bit of info from the guy who owns the school where I will take the 6 hour class this coming Sat.

My appointment is on Wed. if I learn anything different….I'll let y'all know. ;)

Hi, Your last point confuses me. Until that I have had exactly the same information. Perhaps even from the same school? My understanding is that after the theory test you get a certificate for that which you bring to the practical exam. The "one-day-idea" as i understand is only if you do the whole thing in ROCA theory + practical. Otherwise you need to return another day with your theory certificate to ROCA or ACA to do the practical exam.

I do not believe you can get the license without the practical exam. Where i took the course he presented what you do in the practical test and showed "street maps" for the driving roads in ROCA and ACA.. its sounds super easy.. but yes... it surely is behind the wheel.

And please do keep us informed.. my appointment is next monday. :)

Back