Official Inspections For "illegal" Software?

A woman I know who runs a company in Buenos Aires got raided and had to pay to replace all of her illegal windows programs. Listen to the advice above, but yes, it is real.
They only raid businesses, not homes.
Might be a good time to switch to open source.

Sorry for the abundant typos, my wireless kb has its own mind and spelling.

What they will request is to have a look at the OS registry and the program list at the control panel add/remove applet.
They normally won't check folder by folder to see what is stored in your HD.

Just uninstalling apps. might not be enough, any trace of them being there previously should be manually removed. Get someone versed in this practice and not just anybody who says he knows how to access the registry editor.

The guy who does the friendly inspection is a lower grade techie. Quick in and out. Smile and offer coffee. Will list all computers and take note of several apps and OS for each machine. Spends a few minutes looking at each, not many. At the end you sign a note stating that X machines were inspected and wait to hear from them.

The other team is another story. Be prepared.

repair-valve-08.jpg

Once you made their list, they will come back in a few years just to check if you have updated/expanded your operation.

Sorry for the abundant typos, my wireless kb has its own mind and spelling.

What they will request is to have a look at the OS registry and the program list at the control panel add/remove applet.
They normally won't check folder by folder to see what is stored in your HD.

Just uninstalling apps. might not be enough, any trace of them being there previously should be manually removed. Get someone versed in this practice and not just anybody who says he knows how to access the registry editor.

The guy who does the friendly inspection is a lower grade techie. Quick in and out. Smile and offer coffee. Will list all computers and take note of several apps and OS for each machine. Spends a few minutes looking at each, not many. At the end you sign a note stating that X machines were inspected and wait to hear from them.

The other team is another story. Be prepared.

repair-valve-08.jpg

Once you made their list, they will come back in a few years just to check if you have updated/expanded your operation.

Haha, the picture had me floored! Even though I know its no laughing matter. :lol:

These people sent a letter to one of our companies a few months back. They also started calling. They insisted that they wanted to audit our computers.

After you ignore the emails, they'll start calling and sending you registered letters. Then you have a decision to make.

It works like this:

1. You let them do an audit and if they find unlicensed software they let you buy the licenses.
2. You ignore them and hope they go away (in most cases they will go away after being ignored).
3. If they get a court order to come and do the audit and they find unlicensed software then they'll nail you with penalties.

We basically just ignored it. In our business we use Google Apps and all our computers came pre-installed with OEM licenses for Windows, so even though we didn't have anything to worry about, we still didn't want to waste any time on this.

If this goes like this:

"Uh, hey you have a couple of unlicensed programs here; x,y, and z."
"Oh, really? Damn, I had no idea. Ok, let's get rid of x and y. We never used those anyway. I'll buy the license for z."
"Ok, cool. Let us know when you are done so we can verify."

... then I'm fine with it.

What worries me is the need for the KY. :(

Nope, if they find it, you bought it.

They give you 60/90 days to show them proof of purchase of current products/licenses. Then you must pay a fine that used to be 10% of MSRP for said products, those are their fees plus whatever private deal they have with the distributors.
That is still working with a smile on your face.

If you're exchanging "cartas documentos" with them that means you are already involving a lawyer at your end.

A couple of unlicensed programs here and there is over the 1k USD barrier in no time. That is at least C-bill for their troubles that they won't easily disregard.
The jr. techie they send on their friendly approach scouting expedition probably is looking forward to justify his job.
The smoother the visit goes, more visits he gets to perform in a day. Effectiveness works in mysterious ways.

Come to think of it, the fine might be 100% of MRSP if it's already the lawyers doing the talking. I did not edit my original comment so you won't miss this edit. Lawyers might eventually reduce the fine and/or obtain monthly installements. Suggest you avoid this road.

An IT person can help you as far as PC auditing and cleaning, replacing software for open source alternatives. When it comes to dealing with SL or MS at their offices then it is no longer an IT issue but becomes strictly a company policy, legal and financial matter.

Back