Ok ladies, I am having trouble packing..

RogueTango

Registered
I am coming indefinately, but likely at least 6 months. I am also coming next week which is I guess nearing the end of your summer so I will have to pack for 2 seasons. Is it ridiculous to bring 2 large suitcases and a small? I asked my friend (male) who ill be staying with. Of course he's a man so he can't imaging how one could need to bring so much, AND he is only there 6 months out of the year, the warm 6. SO..please give me your 2 cents. How much did you bring? would you have brought more or less? People say i can just shop there, but 1) i am on a budget and 2) I here tell the quality of clothes there is not as good.
Help! :eek:

I am a self proclaimed packing expert! LOL!
Layers layers layers!! Also, don't waste your time with 100 pairs of high heels unless you are planning on going out every night. Just bring 2 pairs and you should be fine. I did find that shoes are more expensive than in NY but, hey, it's the same as clothes (still didn't stop me from shopping - tee hee)
A couple of pairs of jeans, maybe two or three dresses, three or four sweaters and a bunch of t-shirts or shirts to go under the sweaters. Maybe a light jacket and one coat.
Best of luck and enjoy!

Bring cute flats! This city is very walkable, but I don't think I've ever worn my heels, save a few times going out. Even then, the nights are loooong and I'm not that badass. I also wish I'd brought more dresses because the summer is HOT. One coat is fine, and yeah, one light jacket. Well, everything the other girls said :) But also flats and dresses. The nightlife doesn't get tooooooo crazy fancy (although it can if you want), but it's still nice to have some "dress-up clothes," too. And YES layers.

Bring your clothes. While I have found some really nice stuff here - it's pricey. The cheap stuff is so hit or miss I wouldn't count on it - I never thought I would miss Gap or H&M so much but I do... to be able to just walk in and choose one item in different colours in a selection of sizes at low prices - unheard of. Almost everywhere is boutique style - which is great, until it isn't.

Bring your shoes too. I didn't bring so many and regret it - prices have gone up and while they are still very affordable, what you pay for good shoes here can go a long way so don't plan on buying a whole shoe wardrobe without a bit of guilt ;-)

Buy/bring cute jeans from the US - they're expensive here.

2 suitcases is not a lot BUT if you are not here for the long-run, that means you will have to take all the stuff back with you in a few months. And that means you won't have an empty suitcase to pack your new stuff in:D

I think my blood has gotten thinner after a few years but I find it cold in the winter here and wear a heavy coat. But you may not feel it. I do recommend a good raincoat, fleece, etc.

Long & short - clothes are expensive here and not well-made. Bring what you plan on wearing, I wouldn't plan on shopping too much.

(My vice here is shoes. While prices have gone up a lot, top of the line shoes here are 1/4 of the price that they are in the US).

citygirl said:
Buy/bring cute jeans from the US - they're expensive here.

2 suitcases is not a lot BUT if you are not here for the long-run, that means you will have to take all the stuff back with you in a few months. And that means you won't have an empty suitcase to pack your new stuff in:D

I think my blood has gotten thinner after a few years but I find it cold in the winter here and wear a heavy coat. But you may not feel it. I do recommend a good raincoat, fleece, etc.

Long & short - clothes are expensive here and not well-made. Bring what you plan on wearing, I wouldn't plan on shopping too much.

(My vice here is shoes. While prices have gone up a lot, top of the line shoes here are 1/4 of the price that they are in the US).

Couple of questions: how much are jeans there? Are they close to the cost of 7 for all mankind?
Also, my past experience with shoes was that I could find "good" shoes here (BCBG, Ann Klein etc) for less than "good" shoes in BA. I bought a pair of gorgeous sling back cherry red heels for $100 when i know I could have gotten them in the US for less. On the other hand I bought a pair of ankle boots for about $30 that fell apart as soon as I wore them in the NY rain. Can you suggest a good shoe place?! (i'm desperate! ;))
Freaking out a bit about the sizing too. I'm an 8, medium/small top but when i look at the clothes in the stores they are all made for TINY women! Any good suggestions for stores as well?
THANK YOU!!

jeans at maria chen, vitamin a, etc tend to be in the 300 peso range. Cheaper than 7s but still a lot of money. I don't have a lot of luck with jeans here - I find women here are smaller/shorter and more bootylicious than I so finding jeans that fit my body type is hard. I stock up when I'm in the US.

Clothes - I assume you know that they usually only put the smallest size - you have to ask for them to go get different sizes out of the stockroom. For cheap (ish) summer dresses, I've had luck with little sketchy stores along Santa Fe near Alto Palermo - 100 peos a dress. Ridiculous for a crappy dress but still, better prices than you find in the shopping. I recommend shopping along Cabildo if you haven't already to check out the discount stores. I LOVE a little store in Belgrano called Sarawalk - it's on Maure btwn Libertador y LM Campos by Solar. They usually have fun designs.

Re: shoes. Big caveat - I am a high-heeled girl and yes, even with the shitty sidewalks here, I wear heels every day. You can take the girl out of NY but not the NY out of a girl.:D I LOOOOOVE Paruolo which is the equivalent of a Blahnik or Choo here. They actually have high heels! Prices for an amazing pair of shoes might be 500 pesos but they do last. I will spend the money for a good pair of shoes that will last a few years.

If I'm picking up a pair of summer wedges, etc - disposable shoes in other words, I shop along Cabilldo - go to the discount shoe stores..

Hope that helps!

THANK YOU!!! (now i have to see how much i have in my savings account - tee hee!)

As Citygirl says, jeans are cheaper than 7 but you won't get the quality.

Back