Olivos As A Location To Live?

Robette

Registered
Can anyone advise me of where within Olivos / Vicente Lopez is good to live with kids? We are hoping to get around without a car for a few years? Is this a reasonable option to think? We will have bikes, is it a safe area to ride... Eg to and from school? Thanks in advance for your replies...

In general, it is a safe area. But you are talking about a big chunk of land, so you should really analyze the actual roads you want to live/ride on.
Not much green, though. If you'd like a house with a garden, maybe you should look a little northern - from Martinez upward, or stay closer to the coast.

Can anyone advise me of where within Olivos / Vicente Lopez is good to live with kids? We are hoping to get around without a car for a few years? Is this a reasonable option to think? We will have bikes, is it a safe area to ride... Eg to and from school? Thanks in advance for your replies...
It's good to ride bikes but do not bring flashy , fancy looking bikes. They are a target for the thieves.

Without a car you would want to be closer to the train lines, so between the river and Maipu. Between Maipu and the Panamericana it is more residential but without a car if you need to get anywhere it is a pain. Stick closer to the train and at least you'll have it as an option. Are your children going to be going to school? Any idea whereabouts?

There are bike paths all along the river and there's lots of team rides on the weekends. There are plenty with extremely flashy road bikes, cycling is becoming more and more popular, a lot of the teams meet at the Carrefour on Libertador. However if you bring a nice road bike, also buy a cheap one that you don't mind leaving on the street when you go into the supermarket etc. I have two, the one I take to the supermarket / on errands I think the childseat on the back is probably worth more than the bike itself. In fact if it ever got stolen I'd mourn the loss of the seat but not the bike (my child is too big for the seat now but I end up using it for groceries etc!)

Stay away from the highway area and the cemetery. If you are going to be using public transportation, then you would want to stay close to Maipu for the purposes of taking buses.

Hi Robette, Welcome to the group. Olivos is great for families with kids! We live between Av Libertador and Av Maipu and we love it. The area is quiet but shops, banks and very good schools are within walking distance (St Andrews, Northlands, Italian school, Jesus en el huerto de los Olivos, Olivos Montessori, etc).
If you would like any other information let me know.
Cristina

Hi, same question here. I want to move to BA with two kids (2 and 4). What is the best area near to the Luna Park?

Or could you please tell me what are the best areas to live with kids from safety point of view?

Thanks!

There are bike paths all along the river and there's lots of team rides on the weekends. There are plenty with extremely flashy road bikes, cycling is becoming more and more popular, a lot of the teams meet at the Carrefour on Libertador. However if you bring a nice road bike, also buy a cheap one that you don't mind leaving on the street when you go into the supermarket etc. I have two, the one I take to the supermarket / on errands I think the childseat on the back is probably worth more than the bike itself. In fact if it ever got stolen I'd mourn the loss of the seat but not the bike (my child is too big for the seat now but I end up using it for groceries etc!)
You are talking about riding in a large group. I on the hand, was talking about riding alone. Think it through.

You are talking about riding in a large group. I on the hand, was talking about riding alone. Think it through.

Ghost I ride by myself through there ALL THE TIME. It's perfectly fine.

The ENTIRE river front is chockablock full of cyclists, runners, walkers, rollerbladers. You can ride your flashy bike no problem. Now, if you want to go to the Chino and get off your bike for 10 mins, take the cheap one as I recommended above.

Back