On Argentina’s Pampas, Farmers Are All In on Libertarian Milei

strange do they realise they might have to pay their Peones more than a pittance if the country actually develops?

strange do they realise they might have to pay their Peones more than a pittance if the country actually develops?
I suppose they do -- but they presumably have calculated that even paying more they will profit if they are less controlled.

Maybe. Anyway it seems clear that the agricultural sector in Argentina is for Milei.

OK, cool, but one man one vote*. How many of them are there, compared to the 20 millions of CABA and La Provincia?

Have a look at this list. Click on the 2022 column until you have Buenos Aires at the top, followed by Cordoba and Santa Fe. Take a look at the numbers, and think about it.

This is why it's only at harvest time that anyone in CABA even pretends to give a shit what the SRA thinks.

For the record, I'm not endorsing this state of affairs. I'm not saying it's right or good. I'm just saying that it is what it is.

*And yes, of course, also one woman one vote. I shouldn't have to say this, it's painfully obvious, but if I don't I'll have some feminazi down my throat about it.

Farmers in other countries don't bribe customs officers at the Paraguayan border to smuggle agricultural products as contraband into Paraguay.
They don’t need to.

“Perhaps the biggest bane for growers are export tariffs: When they send soybeans to Rosario’s ports, roughly one of every three trucks they load is, in essence, diverted to government coffers. Controls that keep the peso artificially strong also greatly curtail revenue and investment.”

“Paraguay Inflation​

Inflation was stable at 3.5% in October, remaining below the Central Bank’s 4.0% target. Inflation should continue to average below the Central Bank’s target in Q4 and in 2024. “

They don’t need to.

“Perhaps the biggest bane for growers are export tariffs: When they send soybeans to Rosario’s ports, roughly one of every three trucks they load is, in essence, diverted to government coffers. Controls that keep the peso artificially strong also greatly curtail revenue and investment.”

That tax rate of 33% is only on soy. Wheat, corn, and sorghum remain at a far more modest 12%. Furthermore, that 33% is a max tax rate, applying only to the largest producers, those producing over 1000 tons a year. Here's the graphic --

arg soy export tax.png

If you go here - and scroll down a couple pages, you can find a chart listing all the new tax rates. Yes, soy is 33% at max production, but nothing else goes over 12%. Most items are taxed at 5-7%. Several categories of foods have actually had the tax lowered, including wool, mutton and fish both fresh & frozen, rice, sunflowerseed, lentils, garbanzos and peanuts. All the items I just listed are now taxed at 5-7%

Does anyone here wish to assert that 5-7% is an unreasonably high tax rate, one which justifies cheating? How about 12%?

This is an example of an annoying situation in which a person cherrypicks one item, and then extrapolates from that to say all of Argentina is broken/dysfunctional/possessed/whatever, when the truth is far more complex, and not nearly so bad.

Back