One for you Aerolineas Argentinas fans

Sud Aviation Caravelle

(El Hombre Sin Nombre could mostly be found plane spotting from the top of Queen's Building at Heathrow Airport during the late fifties)

Very good! (Hell, I wasn't born until the late 50's)
Well, if you are that much of a veteran, then let me ask you this.
Did you ever fly into Kai Tak?
Did you ever get to see the Concorde?

Those are my two biggest regrets, as far as aviation-related experiences that I missed.

Hey! I said a plane spotter. Like a trainspotter but without Irvine Welsh to glamourise the hobby. And it was the fifties: only the rich and famous flew in the fifties.The first time I flew anywhere myself was the 1970s.

No Kai Tak though I've seen the famous YouTube videos. I still think taking off from USH must run a close second.

Do I gain extra points if I were somehow involved in the manufacture of Concorde? I was sixteen years old and I had a summer holiday job at the establishment that was designing and building one of the radar systems especially for Concorde. I didn't personally design and build the radar system but I did personally design and build a little piece of equipment that was part of the assortment of instruments used to test each of these radar sets. I swear that I had nothing to do with the Paris crash!

Why the interest in the Caravelle? Other, perhaps than because the French have always seemed to be able to design aircraft that perform really well and still look beautiful.

He just lifted the photo from the Wikipedia page. Bit cheeky, that...

BTW, I follow an account in IG called aviones.argentinos, there's quite a bit of stuff about heroics in the Malvinas and some interesting insights as well.

Hey! I said a plane spotter. Like a trainspotter but without Irvine Welsh to glamourise the hobby. And it was the fifties: only the rich and famous flew in the fifties.The first time I flew anywhere myself was the 1970s.

No Kai Tak though I've seen the famous YouTube videos. I still think taking off from USH must run a close second.

Do I gain extra points if I were somehow involved in the manufacture of Concorde? I was sixteen years old and I had a summer holiday job at the establishment that was designing and building one of the radar systems especially for Concorde. I didn't personally design and build the radar system but I did personally design and build a little piece of equipment that was part of the assortment of instruments used to test each of these radar sets. I swear that I had nothing to do with the Paris crash!

Why the interest in the Caravelle? Other, perhaps than because the French have always seemed to be able to design aircraft that perform really well and still look beautiful.
There are some great Kai Tak videos on YouTube!

Yes, I did indeed pull that photo from Wikimedia. I had gone there to look up some of the locations mentioned in this video -
-about the Malacca Strait, strategic analysis being a passion of mine, and the South China Sea (which borders the region being discussed in the video) being a long-time area of interest for me. While at Wikipedia, looking up the Sunda Strait and some other areas mentioned in the video, I stumbled across a listing for the Caravelle and had to stop and look. When I saw a pic of one in AA livery, I thought it might be of interest at BAExpats, because I know there are just so many here who passionately admire Aerolineas Argentinas.

Back