Online notarization with no US phone number

Girino

Registered
I need to notarize and then apostille a document (an affidavit). During the pandemic, many US states have adopted RON (Remote Online Notarization), which is different from the 'old school' online notarization. However, RON requires to have a US mobile number from a major carrier in your name, which I no longer have. Google Voice, Skype and other VoIP numbers won't work for this purpose. How do I do?

Below the typical requirements. I don't need a notary based in a specific State, my main hurdle is the identity verification followed by the ability to then have the notarization apostilled in the US. Thanks!

Identity Verification
Florida’s notary law requires that your identity be authenticated using a 2-step process of credential analysis and knowledge based authentication (KBA). If you do not meet the following requirements, online notarization is not an option for you, because you will not pass identity verification. You must:
  • Be a United States citizen or legal resident;
  • Have a state issued driver license or ID card or a U.S. Passport;
  • Have a social security number – (You will only be asked for the last 4-digits of your social security number during ID verification);
  • Have at least five years of credit history in the United States – (Your credit is not “pulled”, but your history is used to generate 5-questions for the KBA test); and
  • Have a United States based mobile telephone number from a major carrier. (Not VOIP, Google Voice, etc.)

I don’t believe notarize.com asks for your phone number, although you do need some form of ID. I’ve used it multiple times successfully in the past.
One thing to watch for is that not every state gives apostilles for documents notarized online. notarize.com uses agents based in several different states, and of those I know Florida gives apostilles to online notarizations and Virginia does not. If necessary, you can keep trying until you connect with an agent in Florida.

Mobile notary service has become big over the past year or so.

I don't think that helps you, but I wanted to share the idea for anyone who is not aware the service exists.

I have used notarize.com in the past and I was assigned a VA public notary. Pre-pandemic, it was impossible to apostille an online notarization but now this is a possibility. The only issue is the new technology that asks for more for identity verification (at least 5 years of credit history in the US, be a US citizen or permanent resident, have a US mobile number from a major phone carrier in your name etc.). I will look into notarize.com again and see if I can get a FL notary. It would be also interesting to see if notarize.com does only online notarization or also RON, and if you are given the choice.

My understanding is that RON is more demanding in that sense, so a 'simple' online notarization should be what I need to look for! Thanks!

I have used notarize.com in the past and I was assigned a VA public notary. Pre-pandemic, it was impossible to apostille an online notarization but now this is a possibility. The only issue is the new technology that asks for more for identity verification (at least 5 years of credit history in the US, be a US citizen or permanent resident, have a US mobile number from a major phone carrier in your name etc.). I will look into notarize.com again and see if I can get a FL notary. It would be also interesting to see if notarize.com does only online notarization or also RON, and if you are given the choice.

My understanding is that RON is more demanding in that sense, so a 'simple' online notarization should be what I need to look for! Thanks!
You are welcome. It's an option. Hopefully the bar to proving your identity isn't too high that you can't use the service. GL!

I think they started calling them RON and added some specifications as to identity checks. They seem to work the same (videocall with the notary)

Back