Onward Ticket Question

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hi,

I've read some posts about airlines in the US requiring an onward ticket out of Argentina before allowing you to fly to the country. I'm moving to Buenos Aires soon for an extended period of time and I currently have a one-way ticket I bought with airline miles and don't want to book the return one until I know when I will be returning to the U.S.. What have been people's recent experiences with this rule? Besides buying a refundable ticket, does anyone have tricks to get around it? Does just saying you're going to sail home or take a bus out of the country work?!

Thanks

This has come up a lot, and some will have anecdotal tales about being refused access to a plane. Personally, I have managed one way ticket trips on four occassions in the last 15 months, and not had any problems. hats not to say that you won't, just my own personal experience.

The only time I was queried with regard to "visa issues" was coming through Colonia, Uruguay, and all I answered was that I was travelling around Latin America, and would be "going home" later in the year. The immigration offical smiled, and said, "have a good trip"...

That's my experience, and I am sure others will have different storiies, but thats how I have seen it.

If you are going to have a problem it's likely with the airline at the check-in gate. They can refuse you to check-in.

hi! just bought a one way ticket from cape town to Buenos Aires. before booking online I called Malaysian airlines about this onward ticket issue. lady said that i needed an onward ticket from argentina. after this I called the argentinian embassy both in south africa and in turkey. both embassies say there is not an "onward ticket" rule. tourists just go visa free for 90 days!!! i'm dual South african/turkish national. so will buy a refundable ticket to either sao paulo or montevideo (eventually i will go to those places one way or another). do they accept bus tickets? eg one way bus ticket to porto alegre? appreciate any comments thanks...

(non stop cape town - buenos aires Malaysian Airlines 350gbp)

I dont think there is a requirement by the arg gov for onward ticket, but as someone the airlines are the ones who will require it.. I have had friends come here on one way (one using qantas air miles from AU) tickets without a problem, and others who have been asked at airport in their own country if they have an onward ticket..

As I said above, I have come on One Way Tickets on a number of occassions. If asked, just say you are travelling around Latin America, and will be flying "home" from another country. There is no legal requirement from the Argentine authorities that you have to have an onward ticket to gain entry at immigration. Again, there have been anecdotal tales about airlines refusing access, but it hasn't happened to me, or anyone I know. Not sure if that is a help or not, but thats my personal experience.

I've had problems with Aerolineas exiting Australia. They require you to show a return ticket or a forwarding ticket. Last time I showed them an open Buquebus ticket to Colonia and they were happy with that.

Liam3494 said:
As I said above, I have come on One Way Tickets on a number of occassions. If asked, just say you are travelling around Latin America, and will be flying "home" from another country. There is no legal requirement from the Argentine authorities that you have to have an onward ticket to gain entry at immigration. Again, there have been anecdotal tales about airlines refusing access, but it hasn't happened to me, or anyone I know. Not sure if that is a help or not, but thats my personal experience.

This is what's happened for me as well. I've had to maybe explain myself a couple of times, but I've never had any real problems flying one-way into Argentina.

zaenden said:
hi! just bought a one way ticket from cape town to Buenos Aires. before booking online I called Malaysian airlines about this onward ticket issue. lady said that i needed an onward ticket from argentina. after this I called the argentinian embassy both in south africa and in turkey. both embassies say there is not an "onward ticket" rule. tourists just go visa free for 90 days!!! i'm dual South african/turkish national. so will buy a refundable ticket to either sao paulo or montevideo (eventually i will go to those places one way or another). do they accept bus tickets? eg one way bus ticket to porto alegre? appreciate any comments thanks...

(non stop cape town - buenos aires Malaysian Airlines 350gbp)

South Africa doesn't allow this and they even asked me at immigrations if I had a return ticket. With Argentina I have never had a problem(entered about 4 times on a one way ticket I think) but they never asked as well

Either way you need to have a return ticket and can be denied boarding

Qwerty, I guess you caught the immigration officer on a bad day or you are from afghanistan or somalia etc:). yes there are signs at SA airports asking foreigners to show a return ticket but no one really cares. south africa is desparete for foreign money and is in no position to ask for visas or return tickets etc..called Malaysian Airlines again. they only want an onward ticket. worst case scenario i'll buy a return ticket at the airport if they deny me. but will go to the airport before my date of departure and sort everyting out!!

Back