Opening A Pub In Bsas

Thanks for all the responses so far. Somereally good input and advice so far and certainly plenty to take on boad and consider. Cheers folks!

I have been looking and thinking about a bar and grill pub for 10 years here.... the real problem is the location often needed against the very high rents.. if you could afford to buy the real estate and not be at the mercy of a landlord it might work.... but buying an existing restaurant space of any decent size in a good area is something like 500,000 dollars.... also the labor laws are hard to deal with here - you catch someone stealing and fire them and they still sue you and win!... getting products that you would expect.. a simple beer connector or something so basic will be a 3 month project here... it is hard work.. also have to think about the hours.... most places open until 5 am or whatever here... I have gone back and forth with the idea.... would be fun if you could get 10 people to reduce the risk and open -- the "Expats Pub" hahaha but when you examine the tax laws, labor laws, product restrictions, bribes, theft, crime, work ethic, and hours needed of operation etc etc.... it just seems to best be on the side of the bar just drinking a bad quilmes!! good luck I hope you can make it work..all the best!!!

The employee thing is so real and can be very damaging and crop up unexpectedly. I watched my wife's cousin working at a place for 5 years decided she wanted to get fired because she knew the pay off would be huge. So she started making all kinds of problems in the work place. Not showing up bickering with coworkers pitting coworkers against the management. It took about 6 months of this and she was let go and was paid handsomely also.

I can only image what this actually did to the inner workings of this mans business not to mention the cost of the pay offs. Because Argentinians for the most part, relating to being employed or work have no honor for them destroying someone else's business for their own gain is not an issue. So beware this is a true story and I am sure there are those here that have seen similar night mares.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Somereally good input and advice so far and certainly plenty to take on boad and consider. Cheers folks!

BsAires Irish; Do you have a rough idea of the Rent ability of a Pub in BA? A rental property gives a 3% if that much? What do you expect? The article below mentions the rent ability of restos to be around 1.5 % ?

A pub must have food? a menu must have meat? milanesas con fritas o Pizza? Read about the most profitable businesses for 2015!

http://www.infonews.com/nota/154782

http://negociosrentablesfx.com/negocios-mas-rentables-en-buenos-aires/

http://www.infonews.com/nota/154782

You can always come up with armchair reasons why something wont work.
The people who make things work ignore that stuff, dont buy $500,000 locations, and hire minimally.
Again, go check out NOLA- cheap location on the edge of hipness, but far enough away from the center that rents arent too high, minimal, home made interior, great artesanal beer direct from the brewers, very simple menu of delicious made to order fried chicken.
KISS.
Most nights, its hard to get a seat, I see rows of people sitting on the curb of the sidewalk, eating and drinking.

If the food is good, the beer is good, and the attitude is cool, you have to turn people away.

No, you couldnt open a place like Kansas without a connected argentine partner and maybe 2 million dollars.

But you can open a place, and make a go of it, if you are smart, and your main priority is the quality of the food and drink.

I could list a dozen recent small, under the radar restaurants, cafes, and pubs that are doing great- the thing they have in common is ignoring what "everybody knows" and doing good food because they want to.

http://www.nolabuenosaires.com/

Nolas menu states... CASH ONLY.. and for good reason I am sure. I am sure a good percentage goes into the negro because it has to.

Resist temptation but never resist the templation to ignore corruption.

Even in a resent thread about corruption here we have expats stoped by or in a position to be ticketed by the police. Even in their own words expats admit they were breaking the law. Yapping on cell phone while driving and potentially putting others including chidren in the back seats of other cars at risk. What did they do? Offer a bribe. This even includes El Queso.

Me I would rather go a round fist to fist than pay a bribe.

So it really depands what level of honor you desire to live in for me honor is more important than just about anything else. Then again my father was an example of just that and when I was lacking honor I found his belt attached to my you know where with very little mercy.

And of all the things I could thank God for that is one of them. Short of that and watching my father work hard while producing and providing like a man I would not have known the prosperity I know today without corruption.

Honor... what is it worth? It seems to be pretty cheap in Argentina and sometimes even with the Expats!

In a nutshell: Opening a pub in Buenos Aires leads to corporal punishment

Back