Opening A Software Development Center In Argentina??

About 35 years ago Silicon Valley started to offshore development and R&D to India, China, and we even tried Austin, Texas. It's taken 35 years to get to where offshoring is today, and offshore development is still very problematic. It takes years to get an offshoring venture going. The alternative to offshoring is to relocate qualified R&D staff to Palo Alto or Redwood Shores from anywhere in the world we can find them. But relocating to Palo Alto is a major cost problem particularly for a young family - housing is bad - commuting is bad - taxes are high - health insurance is bad. It's tolerable for a 20-something who works all the time and never gets sick, but then. People stay two years then go home or quit and join other companies.

If I had a 7-year time frame, I'd cost a new center here staffed by relocating people here on 2 or 3 year assignments from across the world. The base cost of living here is very low compared to other hi-tech urban areas, and the quality of life is good. I'd look to hire young families who want to save for college and want to live in a foreign exciting vibrant city with good weather for a few years. Maybe move an intact team... If I wanted to improve benefits I'd look at housing, medical and travel.

The feedback on this thread is great!

Turns out that I, too, am considering either establishing or linking up with an offshore development shop in Buenos Aires.

But allow me to recast the question differently. Assume that BsAs is my first and only choice for setting up shop. Given this, what considerations would I need to take into account in order to maximize my likelihood of sustained success?

I am at the beginning stages of exploring the necessary issues, so please feel free to chime in with whatever contributions you feel appropriate. Thanks!!!

My first question would be WHY is BsAs your first/only choice?

None of the issues discussed on this thread have gone away. 25% raises, onerous paperwork processes, high taxes, generally contentious employer/employee relationships and very difficult employment laws, etc. So again - why is Buenos Aires your choice for opening up?

Back