Options for fixing cracked laptop screen

notsupposedto

Registered
I cracked the screen of my MacBook Air last night and trying to figuring out my options of getting it fixed in Buenos Aires. I understand that buying a replacement LCD and shipping it to BA is out of question after reading through some shipping posts on this forum. Is there a place tht I could possibly buy a replacement screen from in BA, even if it costs twice as much (~$100 on eBay)?

Anoter option would be finding someone to bring it with them from the US. Is there a website to find the willing 'mules'? :) I was not sure if I could post it on this forum.

Essentially, I was planning on spending a month in BA this April to work on my Spanish, but without a working laptop, I would not be able to get other things done that I was planning on doing while ther.

Thanks in advance!

Any of the Apple dealers here can replace it, but the cost will be MUCH higher than the cost of the panel in the US. When I had a similar problem with a Dell notebook almost 2 years ago, the best quote I found here was U$ 400 to replace it, and I didn't find a replacement part with good resolution that I could buy and install myself. Everything seemed to be prior-generation, lower-resolution screens, although the authorized Dell repair facility here promised to install a current-model screen for U$500.

Since I was planning a trip to the US a few weeks later, I order the replacement screen to be shipped to a friend, and I replaced it there myself for ~U$ 100.

If you decide to ship a replacement panel from the states, consider shipping it to a friend there who can repackage it and mail it to you - registered with some low amount of insurance - in a hand-lettered package with a customs ticket saying in both languages "used computer LCD panel" and a minimal value, like U$ 25. Then plan on wasting a day at the International Correo to get it, and prepare to pay 25-30% of the declared value in duty.

The screen on my dell laptop wasn't working a few months back, we weren't sure what the problem was so ordered several parts online - a new LCD screen and a new bulb (both extremely delicate). Both were shipped from Hong Kong and were in perfect condition when they arrived. I had to pay a little bit of tax on the screen - around 50 pesos but it was worth it. Another option is looking for the parts on Mercado Libre, you can contact the seller and arrange to collect the item.

I accidentally cracked my Macbook screen a few months before moving to BA, in 2009. It may not be as simple as just ordering a new screen. When I went to the genius bar they had to take it to determine the severity of the crack. They said there was no way to know unless they opened it up. I think I remember them calling them level 1 or level 2 cracks (that may not be the exact wording). Mine ended up being a level 2, meaning a fairly deep crack that would have caused damage to the computer eventually if I didn't get it fixed. It cost around 600 dollars for the repair job. :( That's Apple for ya. They don't like you to be able to understand the damned things yourself. Years later, I rolled my eyes reading the explanation for all that in the Steve Jobs biography.

Anyway, my point is that it may not just be the screen that is damaged. You should get it looked at by someone who knows Macs and knows them well. Search the forum; I remember people mentioning a guy.

i'd use it with a cheap LCD screen. of course you'd have to use it as a desktop computer.

A guy named the MacDaddy is an expat on this forum who does mac servicing. I'm not sure if he does hardware repair, but he could probably point you in the right direction. I used him once for my mac and he was great.

Wow, thanks for quick replies!

I checked out Mercando Livre and saw a couple 13" screens but no 11" ones, I might try to contact them and see if they can get their hands on 11" one. I will also shoot a message to MacDaddy.

I know I could hook it up to an external monitor, but it does not help me once I leave BA in May - I will still have another month and a half on the road after that.

Dima

notsupposedto said:
I cracked the screen of my MacBook Air last night and trying to figuring out my options of getting it fixed in Buenos Aires. I understand that buying a replacement LCD and shipping it to BA is out of question after reading through some shipping posts on this forum. Is there a place tht I could possibly buy a replacement screen from in BA, even if it costs twice as much (~$100 on eBay)?

Anoter option would be finding someone to bring it with them from the US. Is there a website to find the willing 'mules'? :) I was not sure if I could post it on this forum.

Essentially, I was planning on spending a month in BA this April to work on my Spanish, but without a working laptop, I would not be able to get other things done that I was planning on doing while ther.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on how/when you bought it, your credit card company might cover the cost of the repair. I cracked my screen a number of years ago and before I brought it in to be fixed, a friend recommended that I call Amex (the card I'd used to buy the computer about 9 months before). Sure enough, Amex covered the entire cost -- over $700.

If you're within a year of the purchase date (at least with Amex), it's worth giving the credit card company a call. 15 minutes could save you 15% Wait, that's Geico. Well, you get the idea. It's worth your time to call.

Warning - check the specs on any panel you're considering buying. They are NOT all the same, and you could easily find yourself with something so dark you can't read it or with such low resolution that you want to throw out the whole computer. The MacBook screens have very high luminance and resolution, and you're not going to be happy with a cheap replacement part that merely "works."

As for doing it yourself, despite the Geniuses at Apple, it's actually a fairly simple - if somewhat delicate - operation that requires no more than a set of specialized screwdrivers (DON'T attempt it without a good set). If you google "replace lcd macbook air" you'll find detailed instructions and even videos.

Firstly you have to establish the exact LCD model number inside your macbook.
You can reference parts by going to ebay.com & placing your mac's exact model number...then you find what screens are available for your model...double checking to establish your screen's exact model make & number.

Once you have obtained your LCD's exact model number, you can then go & check on mercado libre & see if there are any available. Your mac will only take the same screen it came with, so either it works or nothing..there's no 'grey area' here with a lower quality or lower brightness LCD...if the LCD has a lower resolution it will just not work at all. It will take an exact match or nothing will show on the screen.

The screen resolution on a mac is the same as a PC depending on the specific model.
It may appear to have a higher resolution but this is just cause it's a smaller viewing area/size.

Good luck.

Back