Osvaldo Pugliese or Astor Piazzolla ? :)

Johnno

Registered
Well - my future wife is Argentine and one of those 'Tango families' :)

What can I say ? I love them both - but I think the earlier recordings of Pugliese are amazing - comments? :)

John in Oz (but not for long :) lol

They are two very different styles imho...

I think Piazzolla was my wife's ex professor of music - but I know she has said that Pugliese is the master :) All I know is that when I am missing her (which is all the time) I like to play the CD of tango music I came back here with - its a CD of Piazzolla - this music really gets under your skin :) Oh well - I'll be back early next year - and doing my best to learn Spanish as quickly as possible - and to get a whole lot of other things set up asap...

Oops - I meant to say 'future wife' - we haven't actually tied the knot JUST yet :) lol

Start taking Tango lessons and learning the music. There doesn't appear to be much interest in Tango at BAexpats, check out my blog if you want to start learning about Tradional Tango dancing in Buenos Aires.
http://lamilongadel126.blogspot.com/

I saw Pugliese live in concert and it was amazing. I wish I could have seen Piazzolla in concert as well. They are both great and contributed much to the genre. Piazzolla probably did more to promote Tango as a world music though to non-Tango listeners.
I think many traditionalists think that Piazzolla is not exactly Tango and is impossible to dance to.

Troillo was Piazolla master.
Pugliese was old school tango (from the golden age) when orchestras composed for dancers.
Piazolla composed for the public who listened sat at an auditorium.
Usually milongueros likes more Pugliese and those who don´t dance like more Piazolla.
I suggest you listen to Troillo "Cachirulo", Biagi "La Viruta", Fresedo "Vida Mia", "Isla de Capri" or "Cordobecita", Calo-Veron "tristeza de la calle Corrientes" and Castillo-Tanturi "Bailongo de los Domingos" in order to have a wider perspective of the Tango Golden Age.
Regards

Back