Overstaying work visa

Steve is right - nothing happens. You pay the fine y listo. I know from personal experience.

mcaffa said:
Steve is right - nothing happens. You pay the fine y listo. I know from personal experience.

You just need to pay or are you getting registered as someone who overstays his visa?

What difference does it make?

Others have received temporary residency after having multiple overstays.

It isn't a crime. It's a source of revenue.

qwerty said:
You just need to pay or are you getting registered as someone who overstays his visa?

I just paid at EZE, went to the US for a month and came back with no problems. Two years later, I was granted permanent residency - no questions asked. I am living proof that nothing happens if you overstay your tourist visa here.

steveinbsas said:
What difference does it make?

Others have received temporary residency after having multiple overstays.

It isn't a crime. It's a source of revenue.

And things can change. The only way to avoid it is to not overstaying your visa

My thought would be for other countries, which may look more carefully than Argentina at past visas and stamps, and may rule against granting you a visa if they determine that you have overstayed one in the past. Just to keep your options open...you never know where life will take you!

qwerty said:
And things can change. The only way to avoid it is to not overstaying your visa

Yes, much has and will continue to change at migraciones, mostly related to increasing revenue. Last year's suspension of granting permanent residency on the third renewal of the visa rentista was directly related to money and taxes. By granting the permanent residency the annual $600 peso per year renewal fee stops coming in.

I was also told by an individual working at migraciones the fact that many Asians had been granted permanent reisdency but were not working en blanco and not paying taxes was the main reason for that change.

Now the income requirement for the rentista visa has been increased to $2000 USD per month per person and that level of income is subject to taxation in Argentina. The previous level was not.

Overstaying a visa is not a crime. If it ever becomes one, then don't do it.

Back