PADI Diving course?

Kyra

Registered
I was just wondering if anyone has taken a divingcourse here, like PADI? If so: was it any good, how much was it and can you recommend a place? I'm thinking maybe I should learn how to dive before I backpack..but just maybe ;)
 

aguia

Registered
I did my PADI advanced open water this August. It was awesome. However I did the theory online in July before I did the practical in August. This was a good idea as it meant that i could just relax in the afternoons after my dives, rather than having to spend the time studying. The only problem with doing this is that you have to choose your test centre first.

I would recommend getting your advanced licence as this means that you won't have any problems diving anywhere. Once you have completed the practical part of the course it takes about 1-2 weeks for your card to come in the post. Though you do have a piece of paper that you can use to dive for the next 90 days.

With regard to doing it in Argentina. I can't help you there as I did mine in Italy.

Good luck with the diving.
 

syngirl

Registered
I would not bother with doing a PADI course in Argentina -- you'll do your practice in a pool, your "dives" in the river and then maybe a deep dive at a crapola quarry or something. You're the one going to Central America, no? Do your PADI in the Bay Islands, Belize, or Mexico. You'll be thrilled that you did. Not sure how diving is in the CR or Panama. Mexico I've dived a bunch of times, it's decent. There were quite a few hurricanes that passed through in the past few years so unfortunately a lot of the corals have been damaged around Cozumel, but for intro diving you'll like it, not too many heavy currents to deal with, good viz. Most life is between the 5 - 15m depth so you don't really have to do your advanced unless you're like me and want to do deep dives to 50m for some silly reason. Advanced will let you do wreck dives though which are great fun, as long as you don't have problems with claustrophobia.
 

rockbodyrock

Registered
I did my certs in BsAs, and had a great time doing it while meeting other people. my check outs were in Puerto Madryn, with the whales :)

i did mine at uwexplorers


Sport Club "Cecchina", Bartolome Mitre 1625, subsuelo, Ciudad de Buenos Aires.
Teléfono: 4372 - 4131, E-mail:
buceo@uwexplorers.com

easy to get too in the middle of the city, next to el congresso.


Federico is a cool guy, he got me the books in English and has trips to Brazil, Bariloche and Madryn all the time which i have gone on a few.

becasue of the cost/rate i managed to get my rescue cert.
True, Argentina isn't the dive hotspot but for the cost and how fun the classes were, i'm glad i did it.

Steve
 

Kyra

Registered
syngirl said:
I would not bother with doing a PADI course in Argentina -- you'll do your practice in a pool, your "dives" in the river and then maybe a deep dive at a crapola quarry or something. You're the one going to Central America, no? Do your PADI in the Bay Islands, Belize, or Mexico. You'll be thrilled that you did. .
Yes, I am going to both Belize and the Bay Islands ( I think..), but Belize is too expensive. The Bays Islands are my best option, but I don't want to commit myself to one place for too long. And, as it's in january, there is a good chance it will rain, and make diving impossible. I think I would prefer being able to do "fundives" on my days travelling..or maybe an advance course if I feel like it.

I so want to dive the blue hole...but, I guess I can't do everything at once..
 

Kyra

Registered
rockbodyrock said:
I did my certs in BsAs, and had a great time doing it while meeting other people. my check outs were in Puerto Madryn, with the whales :)
becasue of the cost/rate i managed to get my rescue cert.
True, Argentina isn't the dive hotspot but for the cost and how fun the classes were, i'm glad i did it.
I looked at their web-sites...and it says the rate is 420+tax..is that in dollars or pesos? Guessing dollars...? :(
 

rockbodyrock

Registered
Hello
I think that is in Pesos, I paid in Pesos... the official books are in dollars becasue they are ordered and shipped from the US or brazil, i beleive they offered the cheaper in spansih fotocopia version.

give them a call, and find out. if the cost is right and you have the time, do it..so you can dedicate more time on diving while you are abroad then worrying about the classes.

Steve
 

Kyra

Registered
rockbodyrock said:
Hello
I think that is in Pesos, I paid in Pesos... the official books are in dollars becasue they are ordered and shipped from the US or brazil, i beleive they offered the cheaper in spansih fotocopia version.

give them a call, and find out. if the cost is right and you have the time, do it..so you can dedicate more time on diving while you are abroad then worrying about the classes.

Steve
Hmm...then it's cheaper than in Honduras?! And that's supposed to be the cheapest place. I think maybe I'll do the theory and pooldiving here, and do me 4 open water dives in Belize. That way: no precious time wasted in a classroom in the caribbean, but no dives done in crappy river or cold waters. perfect! :D
 
Top