PAMI for permanant resident?

You would have to renounce your Social Security benefits as well as meet the other requirements to qualify.

Could one actually do that? In the UK, before handing out benefits, they consider what the individual is entitled to, not what they receive. Renouncing a payment one is entitled to from one place won't gain a benefit one would otherwise not be entitled to from another. It is common sense so I presumed that all countries did this.

You would have to renounce your Social Security benefits as well as meet the other requirements to qualify.

Could one actually do that? In the UK, before handing out benefits, they consider what the individual is entitled to, not what they receive. Renouncing a payment one is entitled to from one place won't gain a benefit one would otherwise not be entitled to from another. It is common sense so I presumed that all countries did this.

Here are the requirements copied directly from (and translated by translate.google) from the web page for PAMI:

Tener 65 años o más.
Ser argentino o naturalizado con 10 años de residencia en el país (anteriores a la solicitud), o extranjero con una residencia mínima de 20 años.
No cobrar ni tener derecho a ninguna jubilación o pensión de un organismo nacional o de cajas o institutos provinciales o municipales, ni seguro de desempleo. Si estás cobrando una jubilación o pensión, debés renunciar a la misma para iniciar el trámite de la Pensión Universal para el Adulto Mayor.
Mantener la residencia en el país una vez solicitada la pensión.

Be 65 or older
Being Argentine or naturalized with 10 years of residence in the country (prior to the application), or foreigner with a minimum residence of 20 years.
Not charge (paid) or be entitled to any pension or pension of a national agency or provincial or municipal funds or institutes, or unemployment insurance. If you are receiving a retirement or pension, you must renounce it to start processing the Universal Pension for the Elderly.
Maintain residence in the country once the pension is requested.

It's interesting that the requirements seem to be somewhat contradictory (and a good reason for the man with no name to make his comment):

In one sentence it says "not charged (paid) or be entitled to any pension..." and in the next sentence it says " If you are receiving a retirement or pension, you must renounce it ..."

Of course no one in their right mind would renounce a foreign pension of any kind if they were receiving more than the equivalent of $8K ARS per month, even if they met all of the other requirements.

Here are the requirements copied directly from (and translated by translate.google) from the web page for PAMI:

Tener 65 años o más.
Ser argentino o naturalizado con 10 años de residencia en el país (anteriores a la solicitud), o extranjero con una residencia mínima de 20 años.
No cobrar ni tener derecho a ninguna jubilación o pensión de un organismo nacional o de cajas o institutos provinciales o municipales, ni seguro de desempleo. Si estás cobrando una jubilación o pensión, debés renunciar a la misma para iniciar el trámite de la Pensión Universal para el Adulto Mayor.
Mantener la residencia en el país una vez solicitada la pensión.

Be 65 or older
Being Argentine or naturalized with 10 years of residence in the country (prior to the application), or foreigner with a minimum residence of 20 years.
Not charge (paid) or be entitled to any pension or pension of a national agency or provincial or municipal funds or institutes, or unemployment insurance. If you are receiving a retirement or pension, you must renounce it to start processing the Universal Pension for the Elderly.
Maintain residence in the country once the pension is requested.

It's interesting that the requirements seem to be somewhat contradictory (and a good reason for the man with no name to make his comment):

In one sentence it says "not charged (paid) or be entitled to any pension..." and in the next sentence it says " If you are receiving a retirement or pension, you must renounce it ..."

Of course no one in their right mind would renounce a foreign pension of any kind if they were receiving more than the equivalent of $8K ARS per month, even if they met all of the other requirements.
I just wanted to give this a bump as since I made the post, Nikad informed me in another thread that the requirment to renounce a pension to receive PAMI benefits only applies to pensions paid in Argentina and that a naturalized Argentie cittizen over the age of 65 with ten years of residence could qualify and a permanet resident with more than 65 years and 20 years of residency in Argentina could as well, but I don't recall any posts by any expat who has actually been able do so so.

PS: I was searching the forum for posts by me which contained the word "renounce" as Bajo-cero2 was alleged to have claimed that it is difficult, if not impossible, to renounce Argentine citizenship.

If I remember correctly (though I haven't found the posts), he actually corrected my post when I wrote that.

My mother has Pami and is great because she is 95 years old very healtby and never has to see a doctor or takes medicines but if you need a doctor in many cases you would need a second opinion or at least go to a hospital but if you can keep a private prepaid or a social one is always the best option.

Just phoned 138 "PAMI escucha", the direct PAMI phone assistance line.
A senior assistant told me that Pami Affiliation is ONLY for jubilados de ANSES ?
Asked him if residents after 10 years of residency would qualify for PAMI benefits? He said he was not aware of such a benefit?

Only ten years residency required if you become a citizen at any point...if I understand correctly...
Very true if you have the dough for citizenship lawyers. However even 10 years is on the outside for me..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D.B. Cooper Expat Life 12
Back