pandilleros del barrio

jrockstar80

Registered
so - unfortunately i and a friend of mine ventured out into our neighborhood at like 4 am to our all night restaurant where there were a bunch of local young dudes hanging out.

they asked me to buy them a liter beer. i obliged. then one more as i was leaving. i again obliged.

what was i supposed to do? i see these guys all the time on my block. i took the bus with some of them today. isn't it better to maintain the 'buena onda' with them, as they said?

obviously the problem is that this isn't going to stop. should i just move? what should i have done? i couldn't imagine ignoring them, or saying anything that would have helped in an american accent. the problem is, literally, there's like 10-12 of them, and i see them constantly in the neighborhood.

jrockstar80 said:
so - unfortunately i and a friend of mine ventured out into our neighborhood at like 4 am to our all night restaurant where there were a bunch of local young dudes hanging out.

they asked me to buy them a liter beer. i obliged. then one more as i was leaving. i again obliged.

what was i supposed to do? i see these guys all the time on my block. i took the bus with some of them today. isn't it better to maintain the 'buena onda' with them, as they said?

obviously the problem is that this isn't going to stop. should i just move? what should i have done? i couldn't imagine ignoring them, or saying anything that would have helped in an american accent. the problem is, literally, there's like 10-12 of them, and i see them constantly in the neighborhood.

I would just relax about it, if you are asked next time, just say something (calmly) like "che, fijáte no tengo plata hoy". And keep walking. That is probably what I would have done in the first place, unless of course I really felt threatened.

On another note, and not wanting to sound like a party pooper, but is it really necessary to go out to eat at 4AM? While yes a random act of crime can happen at any hour in any area, but isn't 4AM a bit risky in ANY city? I live in Congreso and I wouldn't be outside walking around anywhere at that hour. It's just too risky. Keep some food at home and if you get late night / early morning munchies, eat what you have and go outside at a more reasonable hour. Just my opinion and be safe.

Davidglen77 said:
I would just relax about it, if you are asked next time, just say something (calmly) like "che, fijáte no tengo plata hoy". And keep walking. That is probably what I would have done in the first place, unless of course I really felt threatened.

On another note, and not wanting to sound like a party pooper, but is it really necessary to go out to eat at 4AM? While yes a random act of crime can happen at any hour in any area, but isn't 4AM a bit risky in ANY city? I live in Congreso and I wouldn't be outside walking around anywhere at that hour. It's just too risky. Keep some food at home and if you get late night / early morning munchies, eat what you have and go outside at a more reasonable hour. Just my opinion and be safe.

this is basically what my roommates (locals) said.

Back