Patagonia Itinerary

NJtoBsAs

Registered
Since my last travel-related post garnered such insightful feedback, I'm back for more. This time I'm looking for advice on a trip to Patagonia, probably 4-6 days, without a rental car.

We're thinking Bariloche and El Bolson are definite, so I am wondering what other cities in the Lake District are worth a visit, or if anyone thinks places farther south (ie Calafate, Ushuaia) are doable in the same trip as Bariloche/El Bolson (and for not a ton extra money).

Thanks so much!

Around bariloche there are quite few little towns that are nice to check out -- Villa la Angostura etc -- the local buses run circuits to all of them so you could do a day wandering through the area. the othe place to head is San Martin de los Andes -- without a car you may have to pick up a tour bus to get there -- though there must be public transport of some type.

Remember too that there's a tonne of boat trips through the fjords, some of which you might want to book in advance depending on when you are going.

You can also rent bikes and do a circuit of the lake out to Llao Llao and back.

I did El Calafate at same time as Bariloche five years ago, but going by plane between the two -- now the cost is somewhat prohibitive. The other way to go is with a 4-5 day bus on ruta 40 that stops at estancias overnight, or you can do long distance bus but you have to go all the way back to Rio Gallegos and then down to Calafate -- it is a long long trip. Not worth trying to do in such a short trip -- you'd really need minimum 12 days to make trying to do the 2 places without a plane trip worth it. -- Even when I went by plane I did 5 days Bariloche area and 4 days Calafate / El Chalten.

With only 4-6 days I would stay in the Bariloche area.

From Bariloche do:
El Bolson
Circuito Chico
Tronador
Maybe some trekking to a refugio?
Villa la Angostura (maybe on the way to San Martin)

And spend a night or 2 in San Martin de los Andes.

Save Ushuaia and Calafate for when you can dedicate more time.

Bariloche - Villa la Angostura AR$24 one way
Bariloche - San Martin de los Andes AR$46 one way

Day trip Bariloche - Tronador (with stops at the sites and time for short walks): About AR$100 ?
Bariloche - Llao Llao: bus 20 AR$6 one way

Transport:
http://www.albus.com.ar/, timetable but doesn't show prices (I think cheaper than ViaBariloche)
http://www.viabariloche.com.ar timetable and prices

All of this advice is HUGELY appreciated!

I'm still trying to figure out -- what exactly is there to do in San Martin de los Andes? Does it offer much that's different from El Bolson and Bariloche? Trying to figure out if it's worth that much bus time.

Thanks a million.

NJtoBsAs said:
All of this advice is HUGELY appreciated!

I'm still trying to figure out -- what exactly is there to do in San Martin de los Andes? Does it offer much that's different from El Bolson and Bariloche? Trying to figure out if it's worth that much bus time.

Thanks a million.

The drive from Villa la Angostura to San Martin is beautiful, part of the 7 lakes routes - passes 7 lakes... but it all depends what you want, it' a lot quieter

I know the northern Patagonia fairly well, having fished there every year for some 15 years. I would suggest San Martin de los Andes as a base rather than Bariloche, which is too large a city for a short visit.
San Martin is both a summer and winter resort town with more activities than you could do in 4 to 5 weeks - white water rafting, zip-lining, boat trips, excursions to Chile, paragliding, riding - you can even do an overnight climb on 13,000 ft Lanin. And you could do all this without a car- lots of hotels, hosterias, etc A good first trip to Patagonia. You can fly from Newberry to Chapelco or go by bus. Go to www.interpatagonia.com, siete lagos. Let me know if I can help.

rawlf

Con mosca rawlf? We have been going every year for the last 5. ;)

Solamente con mosca! Soy miembo de Hermandad de la Mosca en Juinin, donde esperemos construir el Museo de la Pesca con Mosca de la Republica Argentina. Quizas podemos "wet a line" a juntos!

I didnt even know they existed. Very cool. My boyfriend and I are going down there for Xmas and Jan. Headed down to Esquel for Xmas, the park there is so nice. Asado, wine, fishing, and sleeping in a tent next to a river. Doesnt get any better than that. We will probably make it Junin late Jan. on the way back as a friend from Denver is coming and last year we took him to Alumine/Junin and this year were meeting him in Bariloche area.

You ever fish the Traful?

Back