Patagonia Itinerary

Yes, re Traful. Stayed at La Primavera for several seasons before Ted Turner bought it and closed his side of the river to "outsiders." Landlocked salmon terrific, but tough. You're right, it doesn't get any better than what you describe. I hope to be in Juin for the Rual in Jan and for the Fest. de Puesteros in Feb. Maybe our paths will ross.

I would vote for San Martin as well if you only have a week. It's much more relaxed and still has a small town feel but with lots of stuff to do if you like the outdoors. Bolson would be a close second.

Anyone will be in Bariloche for NY? I'll be taking 4-day trip by myself so it'd be great to have company!!

I vote for Bariloche for a first timer (ahhh, high school memories!):

For six days:

Rent a jeep and do:

1 day or 2 the Seven Lakes Circuit: rent a car, pass through Villa La Angostura, and sleep in Villa Traful (or not),continue to Valle Encantado, back to Bariloche.

1 day: Cerro Tronador and Cascada Los Alerces, depending on the lack of snow mabye you can see the Cerro Catedral from below on the circuit instead of taking the route behing Bariloche.

1 day: Circuito Chico, do one or two walks on it if you have the energy

1 day: boat to the Arrayanes forest and maybe Isla Victoria.

1 day: relax in the city, go to a chocolate factory, drink hot chocolate, eat deer or another local delicacy, have an ice-cream. Maybe a spiked coffe on the top of cerro Otto? (overlooking all Bariloche and the lake)

And... plan your next trip to Patagonia!, so many places to see.

Forgot: the hotel on the way to Tronador is delightful, they have their own part of a lake!,maybe staying there to break the trip to Tronador is good,depends on how do you like driving on dirt roads surrounded by mist, emerald lakes and mountains :)

The reason why I put Bariloche is because for a first visit to Patagonia I think is good to make the person overflow with feelings, and in later visits slowly discover the smaller places (San Martin is really nice, ditto for El Bolson, not a place to rush). Bariloche is the easy gateway, but it is a real city. If you can get accomodation on the "kilometers" of the circuito chico maybe it will be better (mmm, kilometers 4 to 9 maybe, close enough to the city,but already in contact with nature).

We've just got back from a month in Patagonia and we ended up staying in El Bolson longer than Bariloche. Really nice vibe in El Bolson, amazing artesanal beers and ice-creams and plenty of decent hikes and bike rides around. Highly recommend. There's a bit about it on our blog below. And will be uploading photos in the next few days.

Señor Suitcase
www.senorsuitcase.com

Back