Patagonian sheep breeders demand new "wool dollar"

Redpossum

Registered

Both run through Google, the usual deal when I post these; click the link, you will initially see the story in Spanish, but it will switch to English in a few seconds.

Because, God knows, what Argentina desperately needs right now is another exchange rate.

Monkey King, I don't mean to be rude, but I reject your observation emphatically and energetically. I will overlook the sneering, condescending tone of your comment, and instead just address the substance of it.

What you say about international values may be true, I don't know. But this first article below makes it clear that the industry is far from dead, and the second one offers an interesting alternate view, one not even involving sheep. The industry is not dead, by any means.

And if Australia is your benchmark, here's an article about Agentine wool in an AU trade publication -

Last edited:
Monkey King, I don't mean to be rude, but I reject your observation emphatically and energetically. I will overlook the sneering, condescending tone of your comment, and instead just address the substance of it.

What you say about international values may be true, I don't know. But this first article below makes it clear that the industry is far from dead, and the second one offers an interesting alternate view, one not even involving sheep. The industry is not dead, by any means.

And if Australia is your benchmark, here's an article about Agentine wool in an AU trade publication -
I already retracted my statement 15mins ago. However, these statistics are on production, not consumption or market demand.
My sneering, condescending tone comes from a deep unhappiness of how the wool industries have turned to custard over one generation.

I already retracted my statement 15mins ago. However, these statistics are on production, not consumption or market demand.
My sneering, condescending tone comes from a deep unhappiness of how the wool industries have turned to custard over one generation.
OK, OK, understood and forgiven.
The world as it exists today can do that to any of us, to all of us. The circumstances of our lives are changed and destroyed by decisions made far away, by men in fancy suits who don't even think of us as human. This is globalization, and it is the hazard of international trade.

One thing that frustrates me horribly about Argentina is the acceptance of its role as a source of cheap raw materials and a market for exports.

There was a time when Argentina had textile mills, but now the best of the wool is all exported. It's the same in every industry; local efforts to develop ways of using the raw materials here and producing the products here are destroyed as soon as they begin to grow. But trying to talk about that in these forums is like pissing into the wind.

Back