Paul Krugman: Why dollarization is a fantasy

unwalled copy?
It would indeed have been courteous to provide a free link but in the absence of the same, one way to read the NYT is just to turn off JavaScript in your browser. This works on some other news websites too.

Pasting the URL into archive.today works too.

This is a reason I avoid the editoral columnists of the NYTimes while I read that paper each day. Krugman has written about this subject a few times this year, and farther in the past. So I am surprised he writes this again now, when most already know it is not going to happen regardless of all the other economic changes that will actually be tried by the new team. It is as though he is saying his thoughts again just to get mouse clicks. Also they changed the title to Do You Believe in Monetary Magic after publication.
paywall free version

Last edited:
This is a reason I avoid the editoral columnists of the NYTimes while I read that paper each day. Krugman has written about this subject a few times this year, and farther in the past. So I am surprised he writes this again now, when most already know it is not going to happen regardless of all the other economic changes that will actually be tried by the new team. It is as though he is saying his thoughts again just to get mouse clicks. Also they changed the title to Do You Believe in Monetary Magic after publication.
paywall free version
I remember people on this site saying that there was no way on earth the Milei could be elected. Let's wait and see if dollarisation is possible. IOf so, it won't be very soon.

In some circles Krugman has little credibility. He sent his protege Ministro Martin Guzman who acted under Krugman's directions and failed and later was sacked.

Paul Krugman is a highly respected American economist. I've been reading his columns for many years, and he's been consistently right. In fact, was one of the few to predict the subprime mortgage crisis that ravaged world economies in 2007-2010.

Back