Paying for airline tickets

Caribbean Cool

Registered
When this quarantine is over will I be able to walk into the office of Aerolíneas Argentinas and purchase tickets for cash pesos?

Will you be physically strong enough to carry ten cubic meters of peso banknotes in a wheelbarrow, is the question.
A bit of an over exaggeration, but a great point none the less.

Argentina NEEDS higher denomination bank notes in circulation. I think a 10K note is needed right now. Just about the equivalent of $100 USD.

Good point Jeremias.

Would be a great deal to take your pesos from the Cueva to buy tickets at a great discount , however the xchange rate for tickets is $93.40 pesos or more..?
Foreigners may be forbidden to pay in pesos.. as it happens in Venezuela or Cuba, and was the case here several times before. Farangis had to pay in dollars..!

Last edited:
It's amazing..I remember so vividly as yet when 1 usd used to be = 3 pesos...and the 100 peso bill was 30 usd approx.. And now the same bill is less than a dollar, that when you give as a tip to the "Rappi" guy; you end up feeling ashamed.

A bit of an over exaggeration, but a great point none the less.

Argentina NEEDS higher denomination bank notes in circulation. I think a 10K note is needed right now. Just about the equivalent of $100 USD.

Good point Jeremias.
This takes away the fun of counting the 100 pesos notes one by one whenever you make a purchase.
But what about the necessity/stress being placed on small neighborhood merchants who must have a steady supply of smaller bills to give change to their customers who spend less and less at each shopping excursion? Example: what if the pensions collected in cash, IAH payments, IFE subsidies, etc. were paid out to a substantial number of recipients with $10.000 peso bills.

Last edited:
But what about the necessity/stress being placed on small neighborhood merchants who must have a steady supply of smaller bills to give change to their customers who spend less and less at each shopping excursion? Example: what if the pensions collected in cash, IAH payments, IFE subsidies, etc. were paid out to a substantial number of recipients with $10.000 peso bills.
Hi Gracielle,

Regardless of what country's currency is in a person's billfold, with very little exception, lower denomination bank notes far outnumber higher denomination bank notes. As the bank note's value rises, the amount off the higher denomination bank notes in possession falls. I think most people would agree with this thought of mine. Having said the previous, those one or two high denomination bank notes sure save a lot of space compared to having a bunch of "little ones" on hand. It makes transporting your cash easy and inconspicuous.

Next, wether it be a $10K ARS or a $100 USD bank note ... most people recognize and respect not using something of that value to purchase a package of gum or similar low cost item. But when you are doing the grocery shopping or filling you vehicle with fuel the obligation can easily approach or exceed the $10K ARS / $100 USD bank note. It's simply fast, easy and convenient to use one or two bank notes in place of a stack of paper that takes time to count, recount by the receiver as well as attract the attention of a would be bandit. The money is out, in the possession of the next person / business and the transaction is done. Not to mention the patron in line behind you might appreciate the speedy movement of the person in front of them.

There are other matters of convenience as well ... a few may be (At least I know they would be for me ... ) That graduation present of money in a greeting card. It's a lot more tasteful to use one or two high value banknotes than a stack of paper approaching a cm in thickness. Or the gratuity you want to bestow upon someone for serving you well. The recipient will be quite pleased receiving one large denomination bill as opposed to a bunch of smaller ones in the same amount of money. It's a psychological thing, but believe me, it is valid and it makes a statement to the recipient. It says "I appreciate you and I value what you did or what you will be doing for me." Now I know not everyone tips like this, but I do. Even in Argentina, I do. And I do it because I can. I believe in sharing and I believe in brightening the world of the other person. Particularly if I am a regular. I want enthusiasm for my presence when I return. Want the person to be please they have the opportunity to serve me, because they know they will be thanked properly. But, I may be getting a bit off topic here...

It all boils down to convenience. Not everyone in this life is working with a few pennies per month. There are people who have the means and travel in the circles to spread t around in tips and in expenditures. I don't feel being throttled by small denomination bank notes helps commerce. It simply hurts it!

With respect I offer this post. One size does not fit all.

I like the idea of not having to carry around a was of money. I'm a front pocket wallet guy and being in Argentina is defiantly not conducive to carrying a small billfold. Been here almost 2 years and I didn't even know up until a few months ago that Argentina had coins. I just thought everyone rounded up. I can't imagine them being even worth keeping.

Back