Paying for airline tickets

....Next, wether it be a $10K ARS or a $100 USD bank note ... most people recognize and respect not using something of that value to purchase a package of gum or similar low cost item. But when you are doing the grocery shopping or filling you vehicle with fuel the obligation can easily approach or exceed the $10K ARS / $100 USD bank note. It's simply fast, easy and convenient to use one or two bank notes in place of a stack of paper that takes time to count, recount by the receiver as well as attract the attention of a would be bandit. The money is out, in the possession of the next person / business and the transaction is done. Not to mention the patron in line behind you might appreciate the speedy movement of the person in front of them.
....There are other matters of convenience as well ... a few may be (At least I know they would be for me ... ) That graduation present of money in a greeting card. It's a lot more tasteful to use one or two high value banknotes than a stack of paper approaching a cm in thickness.

Points well taken when one is making purchases in the US or other first world countries.

Or the gratuity you want to bestow upon someone for serving you well. The recipient will be quite pleased receiving one large denomination bill as opposed to a bunch of smaller ones in the same amount of money. It's a psychological thing, but believe me, it is valid and it makes a statement to the recipient. It says "I appreciate you and I value what you did or what you will be doing for me." Now I know not everyone tips like this, but I do.

Even in Argentina, I do. And I do it because I can. I believe in sharing and I believe in brightening the world of the other person. Particularly if I am a regular. I want enthusiasm for my presence when I return. Want the person to be please they have the opportunity to serve me, because they know they will be thanked properly. But, I may be getting a bit off topic here...

Are you implying you would leave a waiter/waitress at an ARG restaurant a tip in the form of an AR$5.000 or an AR$10.000 bill?

.....It all boils down to convenience. Not everyone in this life is working with a few pennies per month. There are people who have the means and travel in the circles to spread t around in tips and in expenditures. I don't feel being throttled by small denomination bank notes helps commerce. It simply hurts it!

I was addressing what I perceive to be the needs of those who function within our micro economy. By in large ARG is a cash driven society. Citizens, foreign residents, as well as those visiting this country who have the means and travel in circles most likely would be apt to select using their debit/credit cards to pay for higher end purchases.

Last edited:
The government want to "bancarize" large purchases to keep track of people's expenses, as a way to determine their income. Tax evasion has long been a tradition in Argentina, and a cash economy is largely untaxable.

So, they make paying cash as inconvenient as possible. As a side benefit, inflation is not SO visible.

About three years ago, when I ordered from the corner grocery store and said I would pay with a hundred peso bill, Charley would say: "Can you please pay with anything smaller?" Ah, happy times.....!

Last edited:
The government want to "bancarize" large purchases to keep track of people's expenses, as a way to determine their income. Tax evasion has long been a tradition in Argentina, and a cash economy is largely untaxable.

So, they make paying cash as inconvenient as possible. As a side benefit, inflation is not SO visible.

About three years ago, when I ordered from the corner grocery store and said I would pay with a hundred peso bill, Charley would say: "Can you please pay with anything smaller?" Ah, happy times.....!
In general, massive "bankarization" has been a failed project for years among sectors of consumers. Even during the pandemic, seniors, who do have bank accounts, line up outside the entities every month to retrieve pensions in their entirety. Non-seniors line up outside postal offices to collect in cash their gov't allotments. Also I have seen an increase of signs displayed in many storefronts by small/medium merchants in middle class neighborhoods: "debit/cash purchases only".

The minting of the $5.000 peso bill is in the horizon. How would your corner grocer react today if you wanted to pay with a $5.000 peso bill?

The only way to make cash deposits in my bank right now is via ATM. No more envelope deposits, just one-bill -at-a-time deposits. So, to deposit 30,000 to cover utility bills, I need to feed the machine thirty one-thousand dollar bills, one by one.

No idea how long this can take, but I imagine it will give robbers ample time to hold me up.

The only way to make cash deposits in my bank right now is via ATM. No more envelope deposits, just one-bill -at-a-time deposits. So, to deposit 30,000 to cover utility bills, I need to feed the machine thirty one-thousand dollar bills, one by one.

No idea how long this can take, but I imagine it will give robbers ample time to hold me up.
How impracticable and, as you say, unsafe. My bank's ATM machines allow up to 40 bills, of any denomination, to be deposited in a single transaction. The same process can be done repeatedly as soon as the first deposit is confirmed.

It's after all the whole point of ATMs, (re-)distributing wealth.

Also, I wouldn't trust a local ATM with 40 of my precious banknotes at a time. One banknote at a time is fine with me.

argentina is a cash economy but never wants to make change. people get angry when you expect them to actually be able to make change for bills

argentina is a cash economy but never wants to make change. people get angry when you expect them to actually be able to make change for bills

I love being at aeroparque attempting to buy an esspreso and cookie from that one coffee place inside the terminal. Tried to pay with a $200ARS and they wouldn't accept it. Had to pay with my debit card since I didn't have anything smaller. They refused to make change for 3 dollars minus the cost of the goods...

Back