Paying for foreign purchases with Arg debit card

On the flip side, a lot of people go the extra mile and bring USDs through WU or at CCL rates, buy dólar MEP or solidario if they have access to it, withdraw it in cash and then repeat the cycle.
Will get around 20% for each cycle?

I see the problem in " cycle' because for ex I can get money from my home country with no problem, but when I will try to bring it back-I should show the source( and no tax department will take it that I`m just wiring money back and forth like I have nothing else to do) + pay non resident tax on any "foreign" moeny, which will eat out all the profit. So for my own case it must be not cycle but NEW money each time.

Sorry,thank you, it was just too good to be true. Interesting...
There was a time 1.5years ago before the solidarity and pais tax where the savings was huge.

Go on mercado libre and see how many amazon cards are for sale. I'm definitely not the first to think of this.

I don't really see a way for the gov to close this without raising those dollar taxes or closing the exchange gap. I guess it would require them to have a major devaluation to close the gap.

There was a time 1.5years ago before the solidarity and pais tax where the savings was huge.

Go on mercado libre and see how many amazon cards are for sale. I'm definitely not the first to think of this.

I don't really see a way for the gov to close this without raising those dollar taxes or closing the exchange gap. I guess it would require them to have a major devaluation to close the gap.

I belive, but might be wrong, that the FMI has said that one of the requirements for assistance will be for some sort of unification of the exchange rate. I don't think the Solidario will survive, even if there is still a gap between the official rate and CCL for a while.

I don't really see a way for the gov to close this without raising those dollar taxes or closing the exchange gap.

If you make any significant amount of purchases this way, Brubank will say that for foreign transactions you are supposed to take money from your USD account. Or close your card whatsoever. Or Western Union will stop accepting your transfers. Do you think 20% gap of free money can really exist for years?

But for now on you can enjoy your 5 dollar Amazon gift card :)

Do you remember what happened when a lot of people started to open USD accounts just to buy 200 USD according to their quota and sell them? Banks got their accounts closed and the regulations regarding opening USD accounts are much stricter now.

Last edited:
Bring pesos from WU to Arg. Buy things outside the country with pesos at the official rate. There's a gap there that is a savings to you.
Ok. I didn't realize you were talking about the dólar solidario. I thought solidarity was some kind of service.

Very good idea. Argentina has limits on the number of purchases per year from the exterior, weights of items, number of the same item(3), and total dollar amounts, but that's a great discount at the moment. I need a few things that I can't get here. Maybe after I get home after my bypass operation this week.

I belive, but might be wrong, that the FMI has said that one of the requirements for assistance will be for some sort of unification of the exchange rate. I don't think the Solidario will survive, even if there is still a gap between the official rate and CCL for a while.
That's a stated goal, but even the IMF (FMI) has acknowledged that the currency controls (cepo) will need to remain in place for some time.

Right now they are pushing for a reduction in the "brecha" (the difference between the official dollar rate and those of "dólares libres," things like the CCL, the dólar MEP or bolsa, and the blue), as well as interest rates higher than the inflation rate, and that the government begin to accumulate reserves, all of these things being interrelated.

That's a stated goal, but even the IMF (FMI) has acknowledged that the currency controls (cepo) will need to remain in place for some time.
Exactly, nobody, not even the most liberal IMF economists would recommend eliminating the cepo all at once right now.

How do you get rid of the brecha? The same way porcupines mate: very carefully. Nobody wants to be called the second coming of Domingo Cavallo by causing a bank run, and that's what awaits you if you look to eliminate both the cepo/brecha at once.

The solution is simple on paper, but hard to enact when your coalition (the Ks) don't believe there is a structural problem. The only reason this is being talked about now is because the debt is so high that they can't afford to both service it and continue subsidizing dollar purchases. The reason @jblaze5779 and the rest of us can do this trick (what's called making puré in Spanish) is because there is a brecha/cepo which results in a parallel market, and the BCRA shoots itself in the foot by paying for these dollar purchases we make in pesos with dollars/SDRs obtained from the IMF, China, Russia, and the campo. Imagine how much worse it would be if there were no withholdings on dollar purchases and you got 1 USD for $105.64 pesos with a debit/credit card, and WU was giving us $220.00?

The solution over the span of months, if not a year or more, involves the BCRA slowly cutting down on, then completely stopping its devaluation crawling peg, instead allowing the market to decide the value of the peso. Right now the BCRA decides a rate (until lately it had been around ~3.5% a month) for which the peso was allowed to be devalued against the dollar, and when it exceeds this set rate, it intervenes in the international foreign exchange market to sell dollars for pesos to prevent the currency from sliding further. You can see this easily on days when the blue shoots up, but the Google exchange rate stays the same: it means the BCRA intervened to prevent a larger devaluation than the market demanded, and in turn, pissed away hard earned dollars for less pain in the short term.

The other issue is interest rates. Last year, on average, consumers were paid a 36% APR on savings deposited in pesos. Inflation was 50.9%. This means you lost 14.9% of the value of your money in pesos by saving it instead of spending it. No wonder there is no trust in pesos or money to be leant to fund investment, you're better buying non-perishable food or construction materials and sitting on it then lending to others. And since people can't access credit, the government has to step in and lend money. How do they do this? Through all sorts of schemes that basically give away money. My husband took out a 100K monotributista loan from AFIP for 18 cuotas interest free. We'd be stupid not to, 30.8% of the loan is going to be paid for by inflation, it is $30,802 pesos in free money. If we don't pay, someone has to, and that somebody is the Argentine state.

Finally comes the budget brecha: Argentina in both pesos and dollars spends more than it earns via tax revenue. You have two options, you either spend less or tax more, and with 40% of people in poverty it's not going to be the later. Argentina constantly says it's going to grow its way out of a budget deficit, but GDP growth every year since INDEC stopped cooking the books has yet to exceed 3%. Unless GDP skyrockets to 10% like it did in 2010, and inflation goes below it, the issue remains: spend less or tax more, and as long as it's Ks in charge they're going to refuse to make this tough decision.

As long as the brecha remains, there will be a way for people with dollars to make money off of it, and let's remember there's a reason why many politicians, K or otherwise aren't in a hurry to eliminate it, they're rich in dollar or dollarized assets, whether it's Macri's Millions in USD or Cristina's hotels, they don't worry about inflation or the interest rate because they're fine either way.

If that's the case, wouldn't most foreigners who are I'm the know attempt this? I'm surprised there aren't any examples of potential consequences or if nothing has ever happened.

I can see why you're surprised and how unbelievable this seems at first. I live in Europe for most of the year, and of course pay for everything with my Argie cards and thus get a 20% instant discount on everything. As others have mentioned, it was 30-35% a year and a half ago (then it was 0-2% for a while and it's been increasing again over the past 6 months). We had a very similar situation around 9 years ago, when there was another cepo.

Your reaction is exactly the same as my European friends', when we split the €50 dinner bill and I just tell them to give me €20 in cash instead of €25. They all ask "...But who's paying for this?!" And I say "The Argentinean government." This might seem unethical to some, but I tell myself this is my reimbursement for all those years I had to pay for private schooling, health, and security because the government failed to provide them.

Back