Paying For The I-130 Application

This all sounds far more complicated than when I did it for my wife in the early 1980s. I was a grad student with limited resources and she had almost none, but the whole process of getting her the green card took less than a month and minimal expenditure, if any. The biggest pain was getting her a certificado de buena conducta from the Policía Federal since, with their reputation for thuggery, nobody wanted to go anywhere near them if it could be avoided.

If you PM me I can forward you contact info for a very thorough immigration attorney who does not cut corners.

This all sounds far more complicated than when I did it for my wife in the early 1980s. I was a grad student with limited resources and she had almost none, but the whole process of getting her the green card took less than a month and minimal expenditure, if any. The biggest pain was getting her a certificado de buena conducta from the Policía Federal since, with their reputation for thuggery, nobody wanted to go anywhere near them if it could be avoided.

Much more complicated, and much more expensive - even when doing it on your own.

I'm just about to start the process of the I-130, for my argentine wife of three weeks. I know there is a lot of info online but I was wondering if someone who recently went through the process could write a simple step by step guide for getting a spousal visa here in Argentina.

For example,

1. Fill out PDF I-130 form, print and sign.

2. Write check ...

3. Send check and I-130 to .... With fedex....

If someone could write out a step by step guide that would really help me and I'm sure a lot of other people. I also have other questions.

Is it better to do everything from Argentina, or should I go back to the USA and do it all there?
What carrier should I use to ship documents? Correo Argentina. FedEx, ups, dhl?
Total cost?
Timetable?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me, I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs help.

I am really curious too about this. I get married on the 11th of july to my argentine fiance. I want to get working on her visa asap so we can move back to the states and start living there. I just am super worried of making a mistake because it seems one mistake could mean years i dont want to spend stuck in argentina.

Any advice of things to do before we get married? I was going to get a turorist visa for her, but she doesnt want to visit the usa until we make the permanent move so it would be wasted money. any help on the correct way to do things would be helpful since im just 3 weeks away from marriage!

All of you with immigration questions... check out this site: http://www.visajourney.com/.

It was a lifesaver for me when I went through the immigration process with my husband! It even has step-by-step guides and a list of all the forms you need to fill out, as well as current (estimated) wait times and all sorts of advice.

All of you with immigration questions... check out this site: http://www.visajourney.com/.

It was a lifesaver for me when I went through the immigration process with my husband! It even has step-by-step guides and a list of all the forms you need to fill out, as well as current (estimated) wait times and all sorts of advice.

Yes people, seriously. Go straight to Visa Journey. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. It was recommended to me by close personal friends who did the K1 visa. I linked to its guides for a reason. Just go. It's a life saver and with that site there is zero need for pricy legal counsel.

Mari Ogami-San, best wishes for you to attain the US green card soon! BTW, for being a Nipponese lady
( I assume) and wonder your command of English grammar is remarkable in comparison to mine! Were you being educated in, perhaps American school back in Japan?

Just FYI, there's no need to wait to get started unless you really want to! The I-130 petition is step 1, with USCIS. That step doesn't involve the financial sponsorship at all. Once the petition is approved, your case gets sent to the National Visa Center. Then step 2 begins and that's the part where you send the Affidavit of Support documents (sponsor/tax stuff), among other things. Once your case arrives to NVC, you can take as much time as you need as long as you contact them minimum once a year to keep your case active. So if your case gets to NVC and you don't have a joint sponsor yet, it's not a problem if you need more time to figure things out.

If you ever want to send me a private message, feel free. I've gotten so much great help from strangers online that I try to pay it forward when I can.

I did not know that! I am definitely going to start this right away, then. Thanks for that information! I may end up taking you up on that PM offer some day. :) Thanks a lot for offering.

Mari Ogami-San, best wishes for you to attain the US green card soon! BTW, for being a Nipponese lady
( I assume) and wonder your command of English grammar is remarkable in comparison to mine! Were you being educated in, perhaps American school back in Japan?

Thank you so much! I am not a fellow Nipponese, tho. This is a very old username I used from my days playing King of Fighters and I never changed it (I played Iori Yagami a lot http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%85%AB%E7%A5%9E%E5%BA%B5 ). I am Argentinian and know very little Japanese, actually.

I did not know that! I am definitely going to start this right away, then. Thanks for that information! I may end up taking you up on that PM offer some day. :) Thanks a lot for offering.

Thank you so much! I am not a fellow Nipponese, tho. This is a very old username I used from my days playing King of Fighters and I never changed it (I played Iori Yagami a lot http://ja.wikipedia....ia.org/wiki/八神庵 ). I am Argentinian and know very little Japanese, actually.

hah! una chica Argentina..Sho pense que fuese una japonesita, nunca me imagine de su nacionalidad! perdonadme....

Back