Paying in USD

Bobw

Registered
Moving to BA. found an apartment I like but landlord will only accept payment in US cash. The landlord does not have a US based account and will not accept a check. Any other ideas on how I can pay that would possibly work, That will not cost me exorbitant fees, also I do not have a BA bank account yet.

I believe paypal is active in Argentina now. maybe pay him each month via paypal.

I use www.riamoneytransfer.com to get dollars. You need someone in the US to transfer the money to you. It only costs $15 for the maximum transaction of $2999. I think you can do a maximum of three transactions every 30 days.

I understand that you need to have money imported to Argentina whether pesos or USD, but as a "p.s." I'm pretty sure the legal tender of Arg may not be refused for payment of any kind in Argentina. If you have an enforceable contract whether the rent is expressed in USD or not, the LL is obligated to accept pesos at the official rate of exchange. However, if you have no signed deal it will be a hassle to get justice. Or am I wrong?

I understand that you need to have money imported to Argentina whether pesos or USD, but as a "p.s." I'm pretty sure the legal tender of Arg may not be refused for payment of any kind in Argentina. If you have an enforceable contract whether the rent is expressed in USD or not, the LL is obligated to accept pesos at the official rate of exchange. However, if you have no signed deal it will be a hassle to get justice. Or am I wrong?
As best I know, personal rental contracts are not "legal" if written in any other currency than pesos. Commercial contracts for rental and sale can be written in dollars.

If he has a U.S. PayPal accout your safest and easiest bet is to send it to his U.S. PayPal account. Beware that Argentina based PayPal accounts will NOT accept U$D and if you send U$D it will be immediately converted to pesos. In either event, do NOT send a "Friends and Family". Send a direct payment for services, or best yet, is to have him send you a Payment Request for the rental amount noting the specifics. PayPal's purchase garauntee only applies to payments and NOT to Friend's and Family, which also cannot be reversed once the payment is claimed.

Back