pepinos, alemania and Jumbo

dutara

Registered
Just wondering if this business in Europe about the E. coli and vegetables may affect the jars of pickles sold in Jumbo market, imported from Germany.

I'd say it's impossible for many reasons :
- Situation is being closely monitored
- This new bacteria is mainly found around Hamburg (don't know where the pickles are put in jars though)
- This bacteria seems to affect cucumbers only (?)
-If this bacteria comes from the bio fertilizers used (mainly cow feces) -just a possibility- and since pickles grow mainly in the air (not on the ground like cucumbers), risks are lesser

But most of all : pickles sold here float in vinegar if I'm right and vinegar is precisely a method to fight this bacteria (add some vinegar to the cleaning water and it's likely to kill the bacteria).

I think that the German authorities now recognize that the virus does not originate from Spanish cucumbers.

Unfortunately , the Spanish farmers in Almeria and Malaga are seriously out of pocket in their main growing season

Pickles grow in the air?

Maybe in France.

I usually make about 24 quarts of pickles a year. And I assure you, ever single pickle IS a cucumber.
A small, cute cucumber, but a cucumber nonetheless, and they grow exactly the same way.

But my guess is that the vinegar used in the pickling process may kill the ecoli.

Vinegar and heat are pretty efficient at killing micro organisms, so I wouldnt worry too much about pickles, no matter where they are from.

Ries said:
Pickles grow in the air?

Maybe in France.

I usually make about 24 quarts of pickles a year. And I assure you, ever single pickle IS a cucumber.
A small, cute cucumber, but a cucumber nonetheless, and they grow exactly the same way.

But my guess is that the vinegar used in the pickling process may kill the ecoli.

Vinegar and heat are pretty efficient at killing micro organisms, so I wouldnt worry too much about pickles, no matter where they are from.

To be honest, I've never grown pickles in my life (cucumbers yes though). I thought the plant would grow on a kind of arbor/climbing vine but well, you are likely right.

Good thing though a pickle is likely to end up in vinegar.

The latest news from german Newspapers is that it may comes from vegetable sprouts, eaten raw in salads.
Don´t worry about the pickles, they are not raw! The E.coli dies at 70°C, so all cooked food is save.

Back