Personal Income Tax in Argentina

mini said:
I don't have to care or judge what you do to point out that it's not a gray area. You are living and working in Argentina. You should have a resident permit. But you don't want one or can't get one or whatever. You decided to take advantage of the lacks enforcement, but let's not pretend it's a "grey area".

Call a spade a spade.

Mini, I have a lot of respect for you, but it's not calling a spade a spade, it's calling a spade a
#$#$%!!!%&*!! shovel. Lee is here sharing his experiences on an expat website, we should not be judgemental. :)

mini said:
I don't have to care or judge what you do to point out that it's not a gray area. You are living and working in Argentina. You should have a resident permit. But you don't want one or can't get one or whatever. You decided to take advantage of the lacks enforcement, but let's not pretend it's a "grey area".

Call a spade a spade.

mendozanow said:
Mini, I have a lot of respect for you, but it's not calling a spade a spade, it's calling a spade a
#$#$%!!!%&*!! shovel. Lee is here sharing his experiences on an expat website, we should not be judgemental. :)

I agree with Mini.

Whether anyone is en blanco o negro is between them and the AFIP but it's not grey.

I was listening to a programme on the BBC today about illegals living and working in London. Quite an eye-opener when the boot is on the other foot - if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor. If you want to hear it for yourself, it's on the iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sxgs2/File_on_4_06_07_2010/
or download the podcast .mp3 at http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/fileon4/fileon4_20100706-2040a.mp3

Howdy all, I've been using the forum as a resource for awhile now but have run up against a situation that I'd really like your input on and haven't found on past posts.

I work for a Argentine company that also has a US entity. Since July of last year they've been paying me en negro via bank transfers or paypal- personal US account to personal US account.

Previously we had discussed legalizing my status and having a portion of my salary paid in pesos in order to satisfy requirements here but then continuing the payments as before from US account to US account.
Surprise, surprise...today they told me they wanted to pay me strictly in pesos here. I won't get into the details here but this is totally unacceptable to me regardless of whether they give me 6.5:1 or whatever, so it is my responsibility to identify a solution that allows me to continue to be paid in dollars there while also legalizing myself here.

My first instinct is to be an independent contract between their US entity and my LLC thereby bypassing the need for any work contract here in Argentina. However they claim that their lawyer says (I remain doubtful that they have asked) that since I am working in the office and in reality am an employee then that would not be legal. Can anyone confirm that this is or is not the case? It seems to me plenty of consultants work in clients' office for long periods without ever being considered employees per se.

I shoud note that in order for me to sell this arrangement to my employer this should be a legal solution. I would not be opposed to a solution that requires me to pay taxes in one of the countries but double-taxation would be difficult to swallow.

Other possibilities I see are:
- slight variations on the above wherein I'm a contractor with the Argentine entity rather than the US entity, although I don't see how this makes things different
- I am made an employee of the US entity

I should say they claim that this is not an issue of wanting to pay me less but rather that they just don't want to expose themselves to risk nor have my presence in Argentina threatened.

I am very much open to receiving referrals for Argentine accountants/lawyers and ultimately will need to demonstrate to my employer that the solution I'm receiving is legal and doable.

Many thanks...

What's so "cool" about paying taxes,I have spent my life trying to pay as little as possible as I am quite capable of wasting my own
money without having it stolen from me and wasted by the government,of whatever country.

Back