Personal thieves!

As with so many things here in this service-deficient country, you ask two different people and you get two different answers. Even at the same office, same company. As a foreigner without residency, can you subscribe to a cell phone service with a monthly subscription that is cheaper than your current pay-as-you-go? Maybe. I have Nextel. It's not the cheapest per minute, but as part of the standard package they offer "free" CD Radio communication with other Nextel subscribers in addition to your allotted call minutes and text messages. This is useful if you are doing business here. Especially with taxi drivers, taxi boys, working girls, low level employees, etc., etc. I do have a CUIT, but I'm not sure it's necessary to have one in order to sign up. My advice is to keep trying until you find someone who gives you the answer you want.

I just went through this myself, had personal for years and always felt it was a rip off on prepaid. Changed to movistar and it is great, lots more credit, great promos and it is way cheaper. I looked into contract and they all wanted DNI or a CUIT if you had a company, I do and thought about a contract plan but it is just not worth it I think, the experiences stated here on being overcharged etc on a plan seem right, that happened to me in mexico with telcel which is owned by the Carlos Slim who owns Claro so I would not want to trust them with personal info and a contract. Anyway, all I can say for sure is movistar is a lot better and my money seems to be going a lot further with them.

The movistar promos are dead good. I only get credit when they are doing a double or triple free airtime promo, plus you get one number unlimited so I can speak to my other half without any charges. Winner!

Sounds like there are some horror stories with contracts. going to steer clear.

ReemsterCARP said:
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was wondering if my pay-as-you-go Personal chip will still work (haven't used it since march 2008) when I go back to BA next week...?

Reemster: I'd say probably, I was gone from the country for 7 months once and it still worked when I got back. Do you have an online sign on for the account? Maybe you could check there.

All: I have Movistar and I'm fairly happy with it. The only time I've been upset is when they charged me for incoming calls via VOIP from the USA. But I was on vacation and I usually get those calls on my home phone (no charge to me). I just don't use my mobile very much here and for international calls, I have an app called Truphone on my iphone and I can call USA for 5¢/min via wi-fi.

I'm not so sure, "Reemster" and "cujodu". I've Movistar. If I return in less than twelve months' time, a positive balance remains available; if I dally, it's gone.

I had a Movistar pay as you go, which I left without any charge for 11 months. I figured I had lost the number by then (as they claim on their info), but I charged it and it worked fine. Since then I had left for many months (6 - 8) w/o charge and no issues.

Just to inform you all:

My Personal-Light was working as soon as I charged some credit. And that after more than 15 months! I even recuperated the 10 pesos of 'lost' credit... :)

Back