Peso To Usd Rates Soar Abroad

I dont disagree and we can have a whole discussion about Menem economics, kleptocracy, "privatisation" and the Washington consensus, "cheap loans" with strings attached etc etc which arguably all contributed to the collapse - but up till now this thread is about short term inflationary trends and offering up some simple and non-technical explanations about why devaluation is being presently resisted

To expand my point "expectations" in the Argentine economy (and politics too) are based on parameters that include memories and historical precedents over inflation that are of a different order to almost everywhere else

if you want to open out the discussion to talk about the structural weakness of the Argentine economy (which predates Menem) then we can also discuss the relevancy of stucturalist economics and in particular the Singer-Prebisch hypothesis which (mistakenly and maladriotly in my opinion) seems to have been diluted down and fed into part of what has been described as "the K project"

But that seems to be where the discussion on another active thread is also going - where I was waiting for the flame-wars to settle in the hope that some recognisable economics at least might get mentioned in amoungst the invective. Running two convergent threads at the same time doesnt seem sensible.

In refering to e.g

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

K plan is to develope an internal market and to protect it. That´s is precicely what the US did when they had better politicians.

There are not bans to imports, don t be ignorant. There are a balance between imports and exports. You can import whatever you want if you export the same ammount of money.
Here you are naive again. Do you really thing that carlitos who lives just aroung the corner is suddenly going to fabric plasmas tvs? I guess not. Philips does among many other big companies who have no issues to import because they produce here part of its products.
So, there are not bans, just you need a permit.

Regards

A restaurant in Miami as a Promo accepts Pesos at the $4,90 rate.....!!! SI...!!

Back in the mid '80s the inflation rate was about 30% per month. All menus were printed with a blank price column that was filled in daily. The big difference was that all the casas de cambio were open, and people were free to buy dollars. There was never any serious attempt to control the "dollar parallelo" . But rampant inflation has its price. Many times I found that a business had something I wanted to buy, but could not sell it until they determined the replacement cost. That does not help the economy in any way.

Which one ?

Check Clarin todays edition, El Maya in Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, has insert with a photo and caption reads marplatense resto owner in accepts pesos..!!

http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/Miami-aceptan-pesos-argentinos_0_844715679.html

Back