Pesos in the US=No Good

I exchanged some with bank of america not too long ago (a few months), and had no problem. But it was for a relatively small amount, so I'm sure they weren't too bothered.

YanquiGallego said:
Ok, so the thorough and lovely bank manager at my Chase branch looked into this matter further, and said that Chase would be willing to buy my 16.000 pesos for around $2,400 USD for my being a bank customer. (I appreciated her follow up, pero NI EN PEDO)

So they gave you a rate of 6.66 pesos to the U$S 1.00 ...

AndrewWoodward said:
I exchanged some with bank of america not too long ago (a few months), and had no problem. But it was for a relatively small amount, so I'm sure they weren't too bothered.
Unfortunately "a few months" ago is an eternity where this subject is concerned. I don't think we can rely on any data points to forecast future exchange.

cbphoto said:
YanquiGallego said:
Ok, so the thorough and lovely bank manager at my Chase branch looked into this matter further, and said that Chase would be willing to buy my 16.000 pesos for around $2,400 USD for my being a bank customer. (I appreciated her follow up, pero NI EN PEDO)

So they gave you a rate of 6.66 pesos to the U$S 1.00 ...

666! LMAO (although I probably should be weeping).

Having just spoken with bankers I haven known for the past 15 years and trusted......BOA.....No they will not at this moment accept Argentine Pesos....Citi Bank will accept ARpesos for deposit but must be converted to US dollars at a rate of .207188.....The current international rate now is .22794. This info is current as of 4:43 Buenos Aires time.....Thank You K for all you have done to stabalize the Argentine economy! What other nation will you choose to piss off? Try China next and then the Argentines that you claim to love and protect won't even be able to make toast.be a little cooler in the summer, have shoes for their children....... You want to help Argentina, then quit opening more factories and help the current ones that are already open make products that can compete in the international open market......Quit opening more schools before you make sure that the current ones are actually EDUCATING the students!!!!!!QUIT SAYING" LOOK WHAT BUILDING I BUILT"!!!!!!!YES YOU WILL REPLACE EVA PERON! YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SPIRITUAL LEADER OF ARGENTINA(neither was she) AND YES, YOU WILL RUN WITH THE MONEY THAT THE POOR HAD GIVEN YOU IN THE TRUST THAT YOU WOULD HELP THEM TO FIND A WAY TO TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES......But NO! if they do not need ME.I cannot control THEM!!!!!!!Don't Argentines find it a little strange that neither SR.K or Queen K have ever! had a press conference where they have accepted and answered questions of the press? Possibly after 60 or so years the Argentines have forgotton the meaning of Denocracy.....Possibly they have forgotton that THEY are the GOVERNMENT!!!!! THE PRESIDENT and all of the CONGRESSO are just their employees! AH! Sorry but I have a party to go to!!!!!!!I will think about all of this when the ARMY TANQUES come rolling down MY street and I have no idea what happened to MY CHILDREN!!!!!!!but then when that happens I will "MARCH" in Plaza de Mayo, all dressed in white and DEMAMD to know "WHAT HAPPENED"? WHAT HAPPENED?????? YOU DIDN'T GIVE A FUCK!!!!!!!! THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!! Democracy is a 24 hour a day 7 day a week 52week a year job! It is not an ON CALL JOB, only important when I am DIRECTLY in JEOPARDY!!!!!When I see the rights of my fellow (fill in your nationality here), YOU NEED TO ASK!!!!!!!!" MIGHT I BE NEXT????????"

My accountant told me yesterday that he had been told (I know hearsay so for what it's worth) that the only place in the world where you can still change your pesos at the moment is the central bank in New York.

garygrunson said:
My idea was to deposit all my left over pesos here, when I move, in my Santander Rio account and use my Santander Rio credit card in the states. Then just go online and pay my credit card with my left over pesos, until I have used them up. It makes sense to me now, however I am sure some new rule will come up....

This seems like a good idea, but they've already cracked down on using Argentine debit cards abroad. I would not be surprised if they tried to impose limits on Argentine credit cards as well. :rolleyes:

Personally I would not want to get caught holding too many pesos. They are trying to prevent capital flight and keep trying to prop up the peso, but I'm afraid all these rules just make people even more jumpy at the thought that the peso is no good. A currency should not be rejected across the world as "worthless" and shouldn't require extreme special measures to keep it afloat. :p

I'm told some Argentine stocks are traded in overseas markets. Buy the stock in Argentina for pesos, sell in the U.S. or Europe for dollars or euros.

Glad I finally went and exchange those last few pesos that I had last week.

Back