Phone etiquette in Argentina -please help

We have loads of calls to make an appointment for a certain doctor...and I,m only an English teacher...go figure..........

This thread is quite helpful actually.

When I first got my cell I got lots of strange calls. Some chick called Bobis kept calling me. It was fab Spanish practice. I think it is because if you don't use the correct regional code you ring the wrong person.

sergio said:
Sorry to say I find little phone etiquette here. I get a lot of phone calls for people who want the Jockey Club (seems our numbers are similar). When I explain that they have made a mistake they abruptly hang up. Never once a word of apology from people who think they are 'high class'.

Haha, that is my experience too. Unfortunately, our land line used to be the number for a medical group, and when I answer informally they just stay on the line for 10 or 15 seconds and then they hang up. They then usually call back in a minute or two to see if they miss-dialed. In order to stop them rephoning, I have taken a page out of my favourite character in "El secreto de sus ojos", and say "Banco de Esperma- donación o retiro?" That usually prevents them from bothering me again.:D

mendozanow said:
Haha, that is my experience too. Unfortunately, our land line used to be the number for a medical group, and when I answer informally they just stay on the line for 10 or 15 seconds and then they hang up. They then usually call back in a minute or two to see if they miss-dialed. In order to stop them rephoning, I have taken a page out of my favourite character in "El secreto de sus ojos", and say "Banco de Esperma- donación o retiro?" That usually prevents them from bothering me again.:D
hahahaha I like that:)

Some callers actually get mad when they get the wrong number, and snarl at me as if it were my fault.

Only one in five will say: Disculpe...

It,s very ,very common,here in Argentina, for the caller to put the fone down without apologising...believe me..

What a great topic and yes there is little phone etiquette here and being rude is considered normal. Mendozanow solution is great with humour working best .

One of the most incredible prank phone callers in the world is Dr Tangalanga who is now in his 90s and still going strong with his crude phone calls. Please click below for his classics. His classic phone call to one poor guy Gimnasio has been immortalised a classic. The gimnasio series went on for many years and reached over 9 recorded classics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6JPcX_qDN4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4kcyW-VLj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35oBMq18oQ&feature=related

JAJAJAJJAJAJAAAAAAAAA
EL GIMNASIO!!!!
Glorioso.
Well, with cell phones, the companies give a certain number for a period of time, and sometimes they give the same number to another customer, happens a lot. My phone number, wich was given to me a couple of months ago, it´s an "old" number that the previous owner stopped using or whatever, and i now i have it. Nothing wrong, just some people calling to the previous owner, but nothing else, except one time that i was repeteadly call at 5.30, 5.45 at 6 am by a girl that use her own cell phone and her boyfriend´s one. She was calling just to know "if i were at the office".
Well, when you get a call from someone you dont know, the best would be to answer "con qué número queres hablar"? Usually the caller would say the number is trying to call, and if that person dialed correctly, you can answer "si, es el numero, pero no es la persona que busca"
But just asking "quien habla?" or "con quiere hablar"?, it´s just fine.

An argentine once told me if you have called a wrong number you just hang up. You don't say excuse me I made a mistake or anything like that...you just hang up. haha. I would say 75% of the calls that come into my house phone are people selling crap. If I hear that small delay of the electronic dialer I hang up.

Back