Phones: Movistar/personal/claro?

valergal

Registered
I'm trying to chose a cellphone company. Which one has the best monthly plans? Any suggestions? Also, what do you need to sign up?

FYI: 2 years ago I asked at Movistar but it was not possible to get a monthly plan w/o residency. So in case you don't have it, I guess prepaid is your only option.

I just got a claro plan using just my passport. It's a basic plan for 165 pesos/month and you have to pay 2 months up front as an extranjero. You get bills via text message that you pay at Pago Facil. I may be missing some big catch, but so far it's working out great :)

It depends where you live. If you live in the capitol I think movistar is your best bet. I personally hate Personal so maybe I'm biased. They have good coverage but will use any excuse to over bill you. Claro is really good if you live in Provincia, but their coverage in the Capitol isn't that great.

That's helpful. Thanks to all! I have been using Claro with "pay-as-you-go" but I find myself recharging 50 pesos every other day! So its ridiculous. I hardly use it, it makes no sense.

I think I can get away with signing up for a plan as I have a DNI. I think I'll try Movistar and will let you know how it goes.

I was hoping to avoid goin to Pagofacil. It's such an inconvinience. But I guess I'd have to open a bank account here in order to pay electronically. I am not sure I want to do that.

Reviving this thread to ask a question:

I'm on Personal (prepago) and yesterday I had 67 pesos of credits, and today 54 pesos.
I didn't make any call, didn't use the phone, didn't activate internet but I received a call from an Argentine mobile -> is it possible that I pay for a call I receive?

I'm on Personal (prepago) and yesterday I had 67 pesos of credits, and today 54 pesos.
I didn't make any call, didn't use the phone, didn't activate internet but I received a call from an Argentine mobile -> is it possible that I pay for a call I receive?
I believe so... Anything is possible here and credit can vanish.

They all suck! and are all thieves! I never use mine and as many of you said, the credit is half the next day!
I have almost given up on mine Now I can just get calls as I never top it up as "they" always cut it down!

I had a similar issue with Personal. I went to the Personal customer service office and it turned out that they were charging me for some kind of subscription that I had never signed up for. The customer service person told me it was for some kind of (cell phone) game. The charges were around 10 pesos. It is a big scam. I am on Claro now and it has never happened to me there.

I seem to be getting a lot of interrupted service lately on my Movistar plan. Over the last week or so many times I've not been able to make/receive calls, send texts, etc.

Has anyone else had this problem with Movistar?

Back