Phony Metrogas Inspectors?

sesamosinsal

Registered
Yesterday we finally moved from Once to Belgrano. Such a wonderful change. Anyway, we had a truck yesterday move our stuff, and when we arrived to the new place, we put everything on the sidewalk so that the driver could move onto his next job.

So, anyone who was near/in the building yesterday knew that people were moving in, as our stuff was strung out in boxes/bags all over the sidewalk for 15 minutes or so.

This morning we're drinking coffee -- enjoying our lovely view of the city skyline from our balcony -- and we hear the doorbell. My partner answers, and the guy on the other end claims to be from Metrogas, asking if we had received the notice to cut off gas service. My partner told him that all of the bills had been paid, but mentioned nothing about us just moving in. The guy says OK, and the conversation ends.

Concerned that he might turn off the gas anyway, we immediately go down to the building lobby, but there is no Metrogas guy to be seen anywhere. Then we realize that today is Sunday, and start to wonder, "Would Metrogas be cutting off service on a Sunday?"

Was this some sort of attempt to figure out if the apartment was occupied or not occupied? Has anyone had this happen before? Heard of it happening to someone else? And what were the results? I guess I just want to know if I should be concerned about this... a break-in or something? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Edit: As we were moving in, someone else (a friend of ours) was moving out as well. We were wondering if the owner of her "flete" was involved in this in someway, as he knew the address of her apartment, which is ours now.

i heard a story first hand involving a former metrogas inspector with fake/old paperwork, he does turn off your gas, not only that he takes away your gas counting machine. then he tells you that you`re to call metrogas, pay what you owe plus a fine, receive an inspection (pay for it) and if you pass you`re to pay a reconection fee and in about a month you`ll get your gas back on, after paying about $1000. then he tells you, that you can pay him 200 and he`ll leave the counting machine, he`ll tell metrogas he found no one on site to open the basement for him so you will only have to pay the fine.
this is former metrogas personel, and the paperwork is either fake or old.

. Then we realize that today is Sunday, and start to wonder, "Would Metrogas be cutting off service on a Sunday?"

I had my own Metrogas shenaigans earlier this year as described in an earlier post so I will tell you with authority that they do work Sundays, until 8pm at night and public holidays so it is very possible this person was legitimate. Our own gas was cut off on a public holiday because we werent in to let them do an inspection that was mandatory for all properties in the zone. They came again on various other occasions including Friday at 8pm and a Sunday afternoon...

Back