pointers about the Colonia visa run

cujodu said:
I love Colonia. Just to sit under the trees in peace and quiet all afternoon is worth the trip. I've always taken Buquebus because I saw that the other lines were charging foreigners a fee of $70 ARG extra. Buquebus only charges the published rate, and they have specials especially in winter. Unfortunately on my last trip to Colonia I got hassled by immigration for having 7 pages full of stamps from Argentina and Uruguay, though they weren't all consecutive, I've returned to the USA for periods of time in between. Anyway, so now I'm in the middle of getting legal here.

Has anyone incurred this foreigner fee recently? I've heard about it on flights, but this is the first time I've come across it regarding boats.

(maybe this should be posted in the Expat Life forum)

hayleyhen said:
I would have to say that Colonia Express is the best i´ve used...cheap, comfortable and fast...

Agreed. I prefer Colonia Express over Buquebus, and they usually have cheaper prices. I have yet to try Seacat - has anyone here traveled to Colonia through them before?

gouchobob said:
I thought the idea of going to Uruguay had been debunked previously on this board. I don't want to start this up again but going to Uruguay every 90 days is a waste of time and money, just pay the fine when you leave, still cheaper than the trip.

Getting a tourist visa continually renewed when you are living full time in Argentina doesn't make you legal. The tourist visa is not valid for the purpose of living in Argentina full-time.

If the authorities ever decide to enforce the rules people with 50 visa stamps in their passports are no better off than those who have done nothing.

It depends. The fine is now 300 and so it's cheaper to go for one day to Colonia. It was not wise for migraciones to raise the fine, now most people will just prefer to go to Colonia.

mcaffa said:
Agreed. I prefer Colonia Express over Buquebus, and they usually have cheaper prices. I have yet to try Seacat - has anyone here traveled to Colonia through them before?

We spent Christmas in the countryside outside Colonia and took Seacat due to avaliability issues. The boat was older than the express ones Ive taken many times for Buquebus (although I know they still use old boats for Montevideo routes)..and the duty free was a counter where you queued to ask for your items..sorry to sound so materialistic but as I was looking to buy some duty free gifts for my family and friends it was disappointing not to be able to do so. But the Colonia trip is so short the overall cheaper Seacat is as good as long as you arent in desperate need of Maltesers and cosmetics....

polostar88 said:
It depends. The fine is now 300 and so it's cheaper to go for one day to Colonia. It was not wise for migraciones to raise the fine, now most people will just prefer to go to Colonia.

Thats 300 pesos, I strongly suspect most people spend a lot more than that on a trip over there and back. I like Colonia and its worth going once, but beyond that you are better off paying the fine when you leave.

Can someone give me a sense of how long the trip is to Colonia, leaving from the Belgrano area? Thanks!

We did the run no problem. Took the day. We've got to go again and I was wondering if there is a beach there. Not looking for anything swanky, just something a 15 month old would enjoy. A little splashing and some clean sand?

BAwithkids said:
Can someone give me a sense of how long the trip is to Colonia, leaving from the Belgrano area? Thanks!

First, you need to go from Belgrano to the port - Dársena Norte in Puerto Madero for Buquebus, Dock Sud in La Boca for Colonia Express. You're looking at a 30-45 minute taxi ride, depending on traffic and what time of the day you'll be traveling.

The ferry ride to Colonia takes an hour, unless you go on the Eladia Isabel ferry (Buquebus), which takes 3 hours.

Lee said:
There is really no "traditional" sand type beach, rocks mainly where there is any "beach" at all...oh, and the water...I don't think you would want to have your child splashing around in that brown stuff. :eek:

I must say I agreed with Lee wholeheartedly on this until the Christmas trip. We were 9kms in the countryside and the hotel owner took us to some little known public beaches which had real sand (and shells) and clear water...we then also went swimming in a nearby quarry to feel the heaviness of the water versus the river. It was a wonderful surprise and we certainly felt like we had a real beach holiday, ok minus waiters bringing us ice cold beers but as we had our own we were good - of course to get to such you`d need to rent a car or at least some type of golf buggy/runaround and head all the way along the river and right past the bull ring. Approx. 4 kms past there you will find little narrow turn offs to the beach. FYI this is where we stayed and is near the beach:
http://www.casalosjazmineshotel.com/

also heard rave reports about this place..but no kids allowed which is paradise for some I guess:grondona (sorry dint have website at hand)

Back