Police harassment in BA?

I'm surprised that the police stopped you, Napoleon. Around where I live, people openly smoke paco on the street without trouble from the police, you can see a deal being struck from the window of your house, no problems for anyone....everyone knows why.

Celia said:
I'm surprised that the police stopped you, Napoleon. Around where I live, people openly smoke paco on the street without trouble from the police, you can see a deal being struck from the window of your house, no problems for anyone....everyone knows why.

What a terrible neighbourhood you live in Celia. Certainly I would sell up and move elsewhere in Buenos Aires. There are such beautiful places here in the Capital that you can enjoy a high standard of life.

Napoleon said:
And when he dismissed me, he told me exactly where to find the bus stop I would be looking for on Santa Fe. Nice guy, but I just didn't know if I was going to get robbed by him or not. I've never had those suspicions in the States. (Or Central, Northern, & Western Europe, Israel, or Brazil.)

I think I know where you are coming from, but it is more about the reputation the police have than actual facts, as most of the post here atest to.
The general unprofesionalism does not help, in the UK you simply will not see police smoking on duty, their clothing and general demena give you confidence in them. Whereas when you see an Argentine cop leanining on a corner smoking and looking scruffy you tend to automatically assume he will be on the take. As for the police cars; no lights dirty, and covered in dents, they do look more like bandits than upholders of the law.
In saying all this, in the few dealings I have had with them, they have in fact been curtious and profesional, apearances can be deceptive.

Napoleon said:
. . . . I immediately broke into English and only later stammered through a bit of Spanish. (Same thing as when I'm trying to jump to the front of a line at a Boliche... because it usually works.) . . . .
Seriously? You deliberately act superior to others by planned discourtesy? I hope I've misread this.

pericles said:
What a terrible neighbourhood you live in Celia. Certainly I would sell up and move elsewhere in Buenos Aires. There are such beautiful places here in the Capital that you can enjoy a high standard of life.
My area is not so bad...people living the high life in Bs As just don't see some of the real stuff that goes on. They are living in a bubble. It's all around, even in Palermo, but on a much more discreet scale.

The "policia federal" of the CF is not so bad, now the "bonaerense" police is something else...

Do you feel safe where you are Celia?
I've lived in a lot of dodgy areas back in england, but because I never stuck out that much it never bothered me.

I don't think I'd feel safe living amongst crack addicts here, being conspicuously blonde, pale and foreign...

jp said:
I don't think I'd feel safe living amongst crack addicts here, being conspicuously blonde, pale and foreign...
It might be hard as a single girl, but I'm married with a baby, & in this country they're respectful of mothers. BTW, I lived all my life in Chelsea, London & there were many drug addicts there. People take more of an exception to drug abuse amongst the poor.

Glad you feel safe.

As for Chelsea - depends what you mean by drug addicts. Chelsea bankers with a coke problem are unlikely to mug you so they can go buy more coke. Heroin and crack addicts with no income are much more likely to rob you. A stupid proportion of violent crime and robbery is drug related, and commited by people with no means and an urgent need to buy drugs. That and crack/paco doesn't really bring out the best in people...

So yeah, I am more worried about a crack addict with no money robbing me than a yuppie, and being blonde and foreign looking means I'm an obvious target.

There are million dollar homes a street away from council estates in Chelsea, so there are both ends of the spectrum living side by side...but that's another story.
Not everyone can escape to the refuge of the rich though. Local people here have to deal with what's going on in their barrio. Actually, I've spoken to several Argentinians lately who are interested in moving from Palermo to Constitucion, because they can't afford the upkeep of their apartments any longer & this part of the barrio is on the up...

Back