Policia de Ciudad ?

It’s difficult to enforce standards and accountability for any profession when the labor laws make terminating an employee expensive or complicated to near impossible.

It’s difficult to enforce standards and accountability for any profession when the labor laws make terminating an employee expensive or complicated to near impossible.

This is why changing the existing labor laws is imperative to the Argenine economic recovery.

This explanation blames the poorest groups for the problems of the whole economy: there are many reasons for the dysfunctional state of economic life in Argentina, labor restrictions being only one: even the IMF and international observers in the USA and Europe identify chronic corruption and mismanagement as a major failing of the country since 1983 and effectively since 1933. Wealth and income inequalities in Argentina remain staggering and before Peron (ie before labor laws) the economy was performing badly and the mass of the population were completely unprotected. Labor laws have nothing to do with the inability of middle class people to buy houses, or even apartments, or the poor macro-economic management of conservative governments such as Macris - IMF debt is massively higher than it was when the Kirchners defaulted and most observers consider servicing the debt is beyond the means of the country. The problem of exaggerated entitlements is not confined to the poorest groups who have seen real wages cut in real terms by galloping inflation and collapsing pesos. I can't think that the kind of monetarist experiments Chile tried in the 1970s-80s is going to help matters....

This explanation blames the poorest groups for the problems of the whole economy: there are many reasons for the dysfunctional state of economic life in Argentina, labor restrictions being only one: even the IMF and international observers in the USA and Europe identify chronic corruption and mismanagement as a major failing of the country since 1983 and effectively since 1933. Wealth and income inequalities in Argentina remain staggering and before Peron (ie before labor laws) the economy was performing badly and the mass of the population were completely unprotected. Labor laws have nothing to do with the inability of middle class people to buy houses, or even apartments, or the poor macro-economic management of conservative governments such as Macris - IMF debt is massively higher than it was when the Kirchners defaulted and most observers consider servicing the debt is beyond the means of the country. The problem of exaggerated entitlements is not confined to the poorest groups who have seen real wages cut in real terms by galloping inflation and collapsing pesos. I can't think that the kind of monetarist experiments Chile tried in the 1970s-80s is going to help matters....

No, it blames the labor unions for the problem with enforcing standards and accountability in Argentina. They have the money and resources and essentially lobby to have created the labor laws. Poor people (assuming you mean people without resources or money) don’t have the power here (or anywhere else).

No, it blames the labor unions for the problem with enforcing standards and accountability in Argentina. They have the money and resources and essentially lobby to have created the labor laws. Poor people (assuming you mean people without resources or money) don’t have the power here (or anywhere else).

The labor unions are, again, one piece in the dysfunctional jigsaw of Argentina's political economy. If I blamed the civil rights laws and protection of black people in southern USA for the high crime rates, often involving black people, there would rightly be a storm of protest. The labor unions serve their own interests as do the employers who avoid taxes by paying people in the black. And many people are not able to find secure employment or even union representation. By poor people I mean the estimated 35% of the country living at or below the poverty line. Let me reiterate: those in power (such as Macri) cannot avoid responsibility for mismanagement any more than Kirchener can. The powerful have to answer for their role and not just labor unions.

The labor unions are, again, one piece in the dysfunctional jigsaw of Argentina's political economy. If I blamed the civil rights laws and protection of black people in southern USA for the high crime rates, often involving black people, there would rightly be a storm of protest. The labor unions serve their own interests as do the employers who avoid taxes by paying people in the black. And many people are not able to find secure employment or even union representation. By poor people I mean the estimated 35% of the country living at or below the poverty line. Let me reiterate: those in power (such as Macri) cannot avoid responsibility for mismanagement any more than Kirchener can. The powerful have to answer for their role and not just labor unions.

LOL, the post was about police and what they do...or don’t do.

Neighborhood meetings at the police stations are set for Thursday, Feb 7. If you're interested in attending one, just fill out the form.
I attend regularly so I received a phone call this week and an email today about next week. Once you complete the form, you're on the mailing list.

Back