Polo Season 2010

I'm not sure what was going on, but I was going to the horsetrack last Monday (the ritual) and there was a polo match going on across the street. I walked in for free.

I'm watching some show jumping on ESPN right now, looks like its at the Hipodromo... anyone have any more details on when they usually have events? can't seem to find much online.

You might be seeing the World Equestrian Games on ESPN - it's the world cup for all riding disciplines and is taking place in the US now.

However, there are show-jumping shows pretty much every weekend here in BsAs. They're not at the hipodromo but are at CHA (next to River Stadium), Club Aleman and Club Buenos Aires (both on Dorrego, right by Lugones.)

Next weekend (the 15-17) there is a big show at Aleman.

I'm looking into buying one of the Abonos and I'm curious as to the protocol.

I assume Dorrego is the side in the sun, and Lateral means my seat is at the end. So, not great, but I'm more in it for the experience anyhow.

Is there a dress code of sorts to these things? Maybe a stupid question, but it is polo. I don't mind sitting in the sun unless I'm in dress slacks, you know.

Also, what do the prices end up being for the single matches? Ballpark.

Thanks,

John

TarHeelBluze said:
I'm looking into buying one of the Abonos and I'm curious as to the protocol.

I assume Dorrego is the side in the sun, and Lateral means my seat is at the end. So, not great, but I'm more in it for the experience anyhow.

Is there a dress code of sorts to these things? Maybe a stupid question, but it is polo. I don't mind sitting in the sun unless I'm in dress slacks, you know.

Also, what do the prices end up being for the single matches? Ballpark.

Thanks,

John

Don't worry about the dress code, there is none. However in Dorrego Lateral you may find yourself sitting in a mass of La Dolfina supporting Nueva Chicago fans (a football club Cambiaso supports). Not necessarily a great experience. A few years ago there was a pitch invasion by the other people in the stand trying to get away from the NC fans, whose behaviour was a little overenthusiastic. They sat on the pitch for about 15 minutes in the middle of the finals!

Remember though there is a party afterwards, open to all, which may influence how you dress.

I was watching Polo on ESPN+ last night and I'm definitely excited for this Saturday's Final (and post-party). Should be fun. And PERFECT WEATHER!!

What sort of a "not ... great experience" are we talking about? Drunk people ok, having fights picked with me not ok, etc. And, is there a party after every day at the Open? Is it at the field? And what's the M.O. with the party? Horses dancing tango?

Also, anyone know what a ticket to a single day of the Open costs? Again, ballpark.

John

Dorrego Lateral means there are no assigned seats so it's first come, first serve. It also means you're sitting in the sun so bring a hat. I've bought tix there every year and never had any problems. Re dress code, doesn't really matter. If you're in the cheap seats ;), please don't show up in a sundress and big hat or suit & tie. It looks ridiculous.

Re: prices - depends on the game. The early matches will probably be 30 pesos or so (for one tix in dorrego lateral). The semi & final (again, dorrego lateral) will probably be 75. But those sell out FAST so if you want to get them, you need to buy them right when the individual game tixkets go on sale.

As far as the party afterwards, everyone usually hangs out at the Chandon tent or the bar and drinks and chats. It's pretty casual. And yes, it happens after every match.

Back