Porito Moreno Glacier Over 65 Years Old?

Arnebartelsman

Registered
Hi everyone,

My parents are coming up to Argentina to see me and do a little sightseeing, one of the things they would like to do is visit the perito glacier and go up there. They found a tourcompany but they just emailed my dad is not allowed up there because he is over 65 (although he is very fit and still does loads of sport). If I google it it seems more people have experienced this, is there a way to get around this??

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Arne

More seriously, I've not done the hiking on the Perito Moreno itself but did the boat cruise + the visit in front of it. That part is easy obviously.
For the hiking, no idea.

I went last year and yes, they're very strict about age for doing the hike on the ice. It's just the one organisation that does it, all the other little tour companies just sell tickets. The hike was incredible, but so was just sitting and staring and listening to the glacier from the platform for hours and hours. Don't not go just because your dad might not be able to do the hike, and go and see if you can talk them into it.

Or get a fake ID

If its an insurance thing, you won't be able to go around it. Try another agency, might get lucky.
The trekking is definitely doable if he's fit and doesn't have any kind of balance problem (ankles/knees, etc). The regular boardwalk is still good and worthy to do if you can't do the trekking.
PS: Take him to El Chalten (about 200 kms from El CalafatE) if he likes outdoors/walking. You won't regret it.

If its an insurance thing, you won't be able to go around it. Try another agency, might get lucky.
The trekking is definitely doable if he's fit and doesn't have any kind of balance problem (ankles/knees, etc). The regular boardwalk is still good and worthy to do if you can't do the trekking.
PS: Take him to El Chalten (about 200 kms from El CalafatE) if he likes outdoors/walking. You won't regret it.

El Chaltén is much better for hiking. There's also an excursion to the Viedma glacier with http://www.patagonia-aventura.com/icetrek.html, which has no upper age limit.

Thanks guys! Still sounds like its gonna be difficult to convince the company so I will start looking into El Chalten

Back