Potential Problems With Argentine Friends House Sitting?

Risu

Registered
Friends want to move into a furnished house our son owns ( he is traveling now) while their home is under renovation. No money exchanged. Could be for 5-6 months. Seems I heard that there could be problems with this. Any advise appreciated.

if they are good friends there shouldn't be a problem, but if they are acquaintances, i would make up a contract, because i think it takes years to get people out that dont want to leave, if you take legal action!
how well does he know these people?

They asked or you offered? How good of friends are they? Personally I would ask for a considerable returnable damage deposit. And yes they can take over your house and it can be a long time to get them out via legal means. I know three people this has happened to. Two of them got the people out with force and the other still has strangers living in his house for free.

I'm trying to remember the film where the house gets taken over and they set up a chorizo factory inside it, ¿anyone?

They are people who have done our son favors, (collecting mail while he is traveling) but not close friends. Thanks to you for your advise. Think it better to advise him to error on the side of caution to keep life uncomplicated.

Simply put, there are extremely few people I would have babysitting my place for a few days. Think I rather rent furnished if I must, than turn the keys to someone that I barely know or trust, if the place will be otherwise vacant for months.
Regardless of nationlity or location.

I agree it would be a bad idea for your son to do this. Has anyone noticed that here "acquantances" will ask you for favors that normally you would only do for your best friends? I have had people request things from me that made me feel very uncomfortable and I don't always know how to nicely say no... maybe the Argentines on this site could offer some insight on how to deal with a situation like this. I find it kind of ironic since many Porteños are untrusting of everyone around them! :huh:

It's definitely a bad idea. Even if they turn out to be trustworthy, it's a risk and a worry. Why not rent to expats instead?

Bad idea. However, if at all possible he should avoid advising that the place is empty.

My advice, tell him to apologise, tell them he has had to change plans and will be living there and then go away anyway. Even for a few weeks or days it is better than no one knows he will be vacating his house long term.

Paranoid? Absolutely....but with reason.

Bad idea. However, if at all possible he should avoid advising that the place is empty.

My advice, tell him to apologise, tell them he has had to change plans and will be living there and then go away anyway. Even for a few weeks or days it is better than no one knows he will be vacating his house long term.

Paranoid? Absolutely....but with reason.

I completely agree!

There's no way I would allow them to. I let an Argentine friend stay in my apartment while I was traveling and things went missing. He didn't take them, people he had invited in my apartment took them. I've heard more horror stories from friends who allowed close friends to stay in their apartments.

Telling them you can't allow them to occupy your apartment is a way to protect the friendship and avoid any conflicts should a situation arise due to their residence in your apartment.

Back