Practising spanish

Vilma

Registered
Can you advice where to find someone to practise spanish with? I know there has been some advice here before but could not figure out search words to find them.
I have studied spanish a little very long ago. Now I have spent here already over 3 months but have to admit that have not been really able to activate my language skills due to missing practise partners. At work I must deal in English since my Spanish is way too poor. After work I do not meet lots of people so I only speak Spanish with taxi drivers and waitresses.
Due to my very long and irregular working hours I can't commit myself to regular lessons. And for same reason have not started any new hobbies here either.

I have now only a bit over 2 months left here and would like to get something out of this experience. So I'm now looking for people / one person I could meet every now and then to speak in my very limited Spanish. Someone who would not mind talking about really basic stuff.

I have hear of some kind of language exchange but I wonder if those people only accept native English speaker as their exchange buddy. I do speak quite fluent English but it is not my native language.

Any hints where to start look for?

Were I you, Vilma, I'd hire a tutor. Even erratic lessons are easily arranged, and those lessons can focus upon your own particular linguistic needs: grammar, vocabulary, writing -- or everything!

http://conversationexchange.com

Join this site - it's free, and allows you to search for local people in any city to practice the language. I've met a lot of people via this site on "intercambio de idioma" deals. One thing worth mentioning -- apparently a lot of Argentine guys use intercambios as an excuse to try and pick women up, so you might find it better to contact women at first.

You don't need to speak fluent English, and depending on what your native tongue is, you could probably find someone here looking to practice their skills.

DeanN said:
One thing worth mentioning -- apparently a lot of Argentine guys use intercambios as an excuse to try and pick women up, so you might find it better to contact women at first.

Hahaha. Yes.

Hi Vilma =)
Well I speak Spanish so if you're interested I can help you with that
Im talking to her and if anyone else is interested too, I ll be glad to help you all :)

RWS: if I wanted to hire a tutor where I could find one? Any idea what kind of price they charge per hour?
I really want to learn to talk but I feel a bit shamed to just go and meet a local since at this moment I feel I would not be able to say much. The words are still hiding somewhere in my brain cells.

Vilma, when I had a tutor (and learned more, and better, than with courses at either the CUI or the Laboratorio, both fine institutes), the going hourly rate for a very good tutor -- skimping would be a waste -- was about AR$25, if I remember correctly. I think that that rate might now be about AR$35 or AR$40 but really don't know.

My own tutor, whom I can't recommend too highly, holds a baccalaureate in education: she's not simply a literate porteña. If you care to send me a private message through this forum, I'd be happy to send you details.

Vilma, I highly recommend my tutor, Sofia Bohmer. You can find out more about her, her rates, and read testimonials on her website: http://sofiabohmer.wordpress.com

I had studied Spanish for years in high school and college, but felt similarly when I arrived-- shy about speaking. I can safely say that she helped to unlock those dormant brain cells (for me) and get me thinking in Spanish.

Best of luck,
Annie

Vilma said:
RWS: if I wanted to hire a tutor where I could find one? Any idea what kind of price they charge per hour?
I really want to learn to talk but I feel a bit shamed to just go and meet a local since at this moment I feel I would not be able to say much. The words are still hiding somewhere in my brain cells.

Vilma, hello, i can help you out, i am argentinian, foreigners driver´s license departmen officer in Buenos Aires, i get in here by chance ! just searching to improve some information about driver´s license information on the internet which is very poor, and get in here to give some help, and here i am, now trying to help everyone ! besides i love getting in touch with people of another countries (no trying to pick up woman like someone said =) but that´s true! so, i do speak in english sometimes in my work but i would want to get it better, so if interested just reply back.

LV STUDIO in Palermo has a free conversation class every Wednesday at 3.30pm (http://www.lvstudioweb.com/) with native teachers. No strings attached, for real.

I second the recommendations for conversationexchange.com too. Great way to practice, you just have to be willing to speak English with them too. I had good and not so good experiences with it, but overall met nice people and made some friends.

Back